• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound is the name of the game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper_83

I want to know what fans CPU HS and fan combo is quiet. I prefer fans like the one that came stock with my P4 1.8 and adjusts its own speeds based on CPU temp and plug into the CPU fan socket. The mother board I'm looking at is is an IC7 max 3. I want the fan size to be either 80mm or 60mm. I'm looking @ a duct to go from 60 to 80 or 80 to 80, I want to eliminate the dead zone created by the fan hub.

BTW "I HATE NOISE!"

Edit: The CPU I'm trying to cool is a P4 2.6C or higher.

Last edited:
well first, id like to know what your cost limit is...if money is not an object to you, i would suggest a thermaltake sp-94 (best heatsink out on the market for p4) and either a low or medium flow panaflo, the high-flo panaflo may be too noisy for ur liking

if u cant spend too much money, i would suggest getting the thermalright slk-947u (second best heatsink) with same fan combos as above

if u are getting an 80mm panaflo, u dont need to do a deadspot mod, panaflos are designed specifically to blow air in a straight pattern, unlike other fans that blow in a cone pattern, so doing something to remove the deadspot may not yield much performance increase, if u need verification of the way panaflos blow air, u can check panasonic's website and search for panaflo

Panaflo, is that a squirl cage design?

I'm going to look for their webpage.

Edit: BTW do you have a link for that Thermaltake HS/fan?

Sniper_83 said:
Does anyone have pics of the P4 retail 2.6C HS/fan?

I've had a P4 2.6C here sitting in it's boxfor a few months now, if you REALLY need pics I'll take a few shots while I still have my Bro's cam. But, I can tell you it looks just like any other P4 fan and heatsink. The only difference may be the fan's rating, as compared to a 2.26B or below. The stock heatsinks are all pretty much the same up until you go past the 3.06B and above. The 3Ghz+ CPU's usually have a copper insert in them, and come with a syringe of Shin-Etsu thermal paste, instead of a thermal pad.

CrystalMethod said:

I've had a P4 2.6C here sitting in it's boxfor a few months now, if you REALLY need pics I'll take a few shots while I still have my Bro's cam. But, I can tell you it looks just like any other P4 fan and heatsink. The only difference may be the fan's rating, as compared to a 2.26B or below. The stock heatsinks are all pretty much the same up until you go past the 3.06B and above. The 3Ghz+ CPU's usually have a copper insert in them, and come with a syringe of Shin-Etsu thermal paste, instead of a thermal pad.

So that means that you couldn't put a different fan on it without modifing it, right?

BTW I cant find that termaltake fan and HS.

sp-94 @ www.thermalright.com go to intel heatsinks, click on sp-94 ;)

it depends on how much you want to OC... a good quiet HSF is the zalman CNPS7000-Cu though it is heavy, so you need to be carefull...

edit: heres a direct link to the sp-94 frame of their site :)

link no frames now, so you need to go to www.thermalright.com to see it all...

edit2: no, you cant put a different fan on the stock HSGF without modding it...

Jognt said:
sp-94 @ www.thermalright.com go to intel heatsinks, click on sp-94 ;)

edit2: no, you cant put a different fan on the stock HSGF without modding it...

So thats why I couldn't find it, I was given the wrong name...oh well. Human error. LOL :)

Thats what I thought about the stock cooling from intel. Junk!

As for how much I want to OC it...well for numbers I might just try to go as high as I can within my thermal specs but I most likely won't run it their for an extended period of time. If I can hit 2.8-3Ghz with a 2.6 @ 60C load temp, I'll be happy.

BTW 590g thats heavy! I don't know if I like that.

heh, if u htink that, then u should stay away from the zalman, it weighs in at about 700+g :D

for a quality HS , there is weight ;)

it bolts on to the mobo afaik, so there isnt that much danger with moving your case, just make sure you bolt it down securely...

there arent any high-quality HeatSinks out there that weigh less than 450g afaik...

edit:
Sound is the name of the game

well, risk is sounds' middle name ;)

Thats one way of putting it.

I'll have to talk with deathman once, I think he has one of those. May be he could show it to me sometime. (in person that is, pictures are deciving)

Thanks.

BTW whats the conversion factor on g to lb?

The biggest advantage I got when I went watercooled was being able to cool my entire system with one Vantec Stealth. now that is quiet, and would be my choice. You will eventually give in. It's just a matter of time...

Sniper_83 said:
Thats one way of putting it.

I'll have to talk with deathman once, I think he has one of those. May be he could show it to me sometime. (in person that is, pictures are deciving)

Thanks.

454 g = 1 lb

Ken

Sniper_83 said:

28 grams to the oz. 16 oz to the lb.

~450 grams to the pound.

You know what I'm going to add here, Sniper ... you know ... I argh can't help it ...

Use a DUCT!

undervolt your fan, reverse it, apply a duct, send the air out via case exhaust, voila, your case is 10-20C cooler and your CPU fan is breathing cool air, and your computer is much quieter.

This will work for a moderate overclock with any decent heatsink.

I'm willing to bet a duct to case-exhaust + a good heatsink will allow you to run without a CPU fan, moderately overclocked ...

that will be very quiet.

I'd guesstimate here that in the above setup, your CPU will be 25-30C above ambient, and your case ambient should be about 25C, so you'll have a CPU temp of 50-55C. Below your 60C target.

A zalman flower would be fine for this sort of passive cooling. They come in at 400+ grams.

Anyhow, in general, if you want a *quiet* and decent cooling setup, the zalman flowers are good, or so I've heard. They are designed for low airflow (low fan noise.)

the wesson

my CPU is running 3°C above ambient... (33°C)

the zalman is risky, but its quiet plus it cooles better than the stock HSF :p ive seen a benchmark somewhere... they tested volcanos, the zalmans, and the stock HSF ... stock HSF lost every time lol, zalman was actually pretty good at keeping up with its competition at 12 and 7v...

Okay, let's say your P4 is putting off 80 watts under load, the Zalman flower C/W is .35 (that's an estimate with low fan), then C above ambient will be 28C above ambient.

so you're looking at 53C if case ambient is 25C.

now of course you can do a lot better than .35 C/W with a lot of HS/fan combos, but most of those aren't at all quiet.

the deal here is that as you increase the noise the CPU temp drops, but that curve has sharply diminishing returns. So you have to find your own sweet spot ... you CAN get okay cooling with almost no noise. Even somewhat o'clocked.

but I do have to remind you that 28C above ambient will be not good if the ambient presented to HS (e.g. your case temp) is 40C ... hence the ducting.

the wesson

Wow, thanks for the input.

I suddenly have some good news and some bad news.

Good News

My It7 max 2 blew a capacitor or something and this computer was warrentied through TCS (Total Computer Solutions). They are replacing it with a IC7 MAX 3 @ no charge.

Bad News

My funds are running dry. X-mas and school are saping my reserves. Any one who cares to make a donation to the help sniper fund is welcome...LOL.

If i turn this into a business computer or corporate PC I will also have to be trust that the hardware will not fry on me at a critical time. But on the bright side I may be in the near future be looking at OCing a twin Xeon rendering server.

Back