• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any hope for extra cache on Thorton 0339?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGurk

I got a 2200 Thorton a few days ago but it is one made week 39. I understand that you can not use the the L2 to unlock the Extra 256K cache. Any suggestions other than increase FSB for speed increase. I ran a 12 hour max temp burn-in at standard FSB and it settled around 47 degrees Celcius so I think it has room for extra speed.
I am waiting for a new MB and the old ECS I have will not let me change the FSB to anything other than standard 133 or 166.

Suggestions would be welcome.

Is your CPU multiplier locked?

Can you post any different multiplier?

If no, FSB is your only overclocking option, which means that with your 13.5 locked multiplier for 2200+, you're limited to maybe mid 150s FSB or so... (sorry)

c627627 said:
Is your CPU multiplier locked?

Can you post any different multiplier?
Thanks for fast response. I have a crummy Elite K7S5A Pro (Sis735 Chip set) that has not provision for changing multiplier in the BIOS.
I just googled and saw that someone made a BIOS hack that will allow some OC so I will try to do this and report back.
Hopefully I can change the FSB a bit with a newer BIOS. Currently it thinks it's a Duron.

Thanks again

Flashed with a hacked BIOS and was able to set FSB to 150. I ran a stress testt for 8 hours, with no problems. Strangely the temperature fell a few degrees from the 133 FSB.

Anyway if anyone figures out how to activate the extra 256K cache on > week 39 Thortons Please post.

McGurk

Back