• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAX temps p4 can handle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

What is the maximum temperature that the processor can handle, and that it can run under without any dangers. Ive seen too many people getting like 40c and they do anything possible to get 5c less for example.

The max temp is probably somehwhere around 80-90C, but with thermal throttling it shouldn't ever actually get that high assuming there is some sort of heatsink on it.

So, well, why is it that aircoolers cant hit 4ghz for example?

Because even though they can handle that much heat with little or no damage if you are lucky that doesn't mean that they can run at those temps without error. Generally speaking a cooler chip will run faster. This is why the search for the room temp semiconductor is continuing and is ever the more evasive.

My guess is that it depends on the individual cpu. This is the reason why people look for a certain batch of processors and why ppl post specific batch numbers so that we all can track the great ones, the mediocre, and the ones that just plain suck.

For example I read a post earlier that stated that my batch number was mediocre at best but my individual cpu is by far surpassing the ones being talked about. So this cpu is an exception to the rule for that batch or the other guys got the bad ones from the batch. Not enough info to make that determination yet.

ok so i guess stability is directly linked to temperatures, and the more you cool it, the more speed i guess. Im asking because i want to squeeze the last mhz out of a 2.8c m0 with watercooling when i get it.

like jhl3 mentioned, some CPU's will Oc better than others. temps have a lot to do with things. Generally speaking the lower the temp, the more likely you are going to achieve a STABLE overclock. This isn't to say that you will get a higher overclock. There's a lot more than just temps that help an OC. It's not only the CPU that you're overclocking when you push up the FSB (depending on the MB you have). Other components in your system may be holding you back as well.

70-75°C is where the thermal sensor in the cpu will start slowing the system down to aid in cooling it off. The max sustained temp it 63°C but I would highly recommend that you not stay that high for a long time. 45°C sustained is alright

jhl3 said:

I'm not sure I follow

the cooler the chip/transistors/everything the less fluctuations there will be in the voltage.

So, a more stable voltage almost always results in a more stable chip.

make sure it never reaches 50/60 celcius :)

keep your temps down as much as u can, lower temps also means the CPU will live longer :) (though you decrease its lifespan by OC'ing it anyway...)lol

I hope this link can help you.

I personaly recomend not going over 65C for long time periods. You should have idle temps around 30C to 45C. Also I would not recomend running prime 95 in the background to look for integers if your getting load temps around 55C to 65C because it will run your CPU @ full capacity.

BTW if your motherboard supports temp monitoring you might want to visit the manufacturers website to see about how much error it has in its readings. My IT7 max 2 has about a 8 degree C variation.

Edit: Fixed link

Last edited:
sandman001 said:

the cooler the chip/transistors/everything the less fluctuations there will be in the voltage.

So, a more stable voltage almost always results in a more stable chip.

O'tay Thanks for clarifying

Alright. Im just getting ready to build my pc, i want it to be very fast, and in the process of asking these questions, other noobs like me can learn too.

GTac02 said:
Alright. Im just getting ready to build my pc, i want it to be very fast, and in the process of asking these questions, other noobs like me can learn too.

Another thing to add is that even with the stock cooler, your load shouldn't break 55C assuming you have decent airflow and decent ambient temps.

Back