• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech ZNF3 + AMD 64 3000+ = Cooking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnownKiller

I just finally got the damn chaintech system hooked up with the new AMD 64 3000+ CPU. I bought the retail cuase i liked the idea of having a coper base HS and 3 year warrenty.. i have a coolermaster HS from the last Opteron 144 1.8GHz i tried before.

Anyways.. First time powering up i go right into the BIOS and check the temps to make sure the dang HS is doing its job and WOW 44C and climbing! I just sat there for a min and watched it go up to 49C! I'm like flipping out.. so i think to myself.. hmmm.. The chaintech did already have that socket HS hold down already on there for me.. I bet i was right once again.. SHould of checked those screws to make sure the damn thing was down nice and tight..

So i go to yank the heatsink off and ummm.. !@#%$@%#!!! I finally get the HS off and umm.. THE DAMN CPU IS STUCK TO IT!! OMG! NO!! And i remember reading the instructions that came with the CPU saying that you should give the heatsink a few twists left and right to break free the HS from the CPU.. but that was if ya used the TIM that was on the retail HS.. and ofcourse i took that off and used my new Artic silver Ceramique.

i guess the HS was really flat and that the AC held the CPU on there like it was crazy glue! Took the cpu off the HS and thank god no damage!. i was like in a huge panic that i just killed the damn CPU before i even got a chance to see it and that i just bought it.. but thank god all was well.. Some of the pins on one edge were leaning just a hair but it went back into the socket nice and flush like the first time.. And yes she still is kicking at this moment.

Now to the point.. I was thinking that maybe this damn retail HS isint putting enough pressure on the CPU like my cooler master does so i switched the 2 and yes.. the cooler master does put more pressure on the cpu.. But did it give me nice temps like it did with the Opteron system.. NOPE! on the opteron even at 1.7v i was getting around 42-44C temps. Well thats what the BIOS siad on the Leadtek board.

Now the same HS on the chaintech is giving me the same high temps in the bios at default voltage of 1.5v.. I uped the voltage to 1.6v and booted into memtest86 just to see if it was stable at 230FSB and nope.. a million errors right away.

So umm.. Anyone know if this board reports the temp too high? Or does these little 64 chips run that much hotter? I never heard anyone ever reporting high temps like this before on a 64 system even with the retail HS.. I'm wondering if that Heat spreader is making good contact wtih the Die? heh i'm not about to take it off and find out though ehehe.

Thanks B! So did those temps get any better with your Zalman HSF?

Can you recommend a good MB NF3 chipset that has all the voltage selections you could want and overclocks nice?

I dont know if i like this Chaintech since i cant do any high on the ram then 210FSB stable cause of the VDIMM voltage is low like 2.85v.

No i was using Artic Silvers newest and best Artic Silver Ceramique. Followed there instructions to the T on how to apply it and i checked it and had good coverage.

KnownKiller said:
Thanks B! So did those temps get any better with your Zalman HSF?

Can you recommend a good MB NF3 chipset that has all the voltage selections you could want and overclocks nice?

I dont know if i like this Chaintech since i cant do any high on the ram then 210FSB stable cause of the VDIMM voltage is low like 2.85v.

The only HS I've used is the Zalman. I don't have any experience with the NF3 mobos, so I can't help you there.

xcelerator said:
besides the temp....how does ur comp run........thinking of getting a 3000+ AMD64

I'll let you know when i re-hook it all up again tomorrow.. I've been trying to get the damn barton+Abit AN7 runing but i had to bust some damn tiny microscopic resistor around the heatsink mount tighting down the damn nut for the waterblock post. :( Spent all night soldering this thing on and checking it with a DMM then mounting the water block and nothing over and over and over and over.. about 30 times easy.. Everytime i'd say i give up i take everything off and thing try soldering it once more hehe.. An endless cycle that lead me the last time to just hold an old swiftech HS on the thing and boot it up to see if she would work.. And ofcourse she did so i go put everything back and just to find out that it would post a few times then not again! hehehe.. KILL ME!

So.. Now i get to flip out till the replacement board gets here since i have no idea if its the board(Most likely) or worse, my unlocked Barton.. My last one since i'm selling the other 2 off to some guy online... just waitin for his money order to get here.. So i wish i could check to make sure this CPU is still good before i give away my only chance at some decent overclocking.

Sorry for that rant! hehe..

Yeah that AMD 64 3000+ is pretty damn fast! Installs windows faster then anything i've seen.. Just a ziping along. I scored a tad under 18,000 in 3dmark 2k1 completely stock setup.. no tweaking or overclocking.. Did that with a 9700 Pro AIW..

Though be warned.. i've read a few different threads on other forums and this chip does cook at 49-52C with the retail HS.. i guess its the norm.. i dont like it runing that hot.. it just alarms me and makes e think the thing aint gona last that long runing that hot.

Other then that i couldnt overclock it period.. I think its a combination of MB and ram though.. The CPU did post at 2400Mhz.. Just a tease though since i couldnt boot into windows.

Didnt play too much but it seemed the highest i could be stable was 210FSB.. But i was too ****ed to mess around since i was only interested in 220+.

I'm gona slap the system back together soon and give it another go.. Got nothing better to do since i'll have to wait for another damn MB for the barton.

What makes you think that 49-52C is "that hot"? My OC'ed P4s have run fine at 60-65C under load with no issues at all. I figure as long as my A64 3200+ stays around 50C max it'll be fine.

yeah 49-52 isnt hot. My XP runs at 62 idle, but i understand your worries on memtest, but that could be youre ram, check the timings, teh FSB, and watnot, what brand memory are you running??

Back