• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an explanation on BH-5, CH-5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daNo-

Hello,

I've been around for some time now and yea ive been reading that bh-5 chips are better overclockers than ch-5. Anyways im wondering whats the differences between a bh-5 chip and a ch-5 chip based on a Kingston hyperx.. in terms of timings etc....

Last edited:
CH-5 doesnt like 2-2-2 over 200mhz FSB while BH-5 does, CH-5 has volt. regulator so no matter what volt. you give it, the chip is always @ ~2.6v, BH-5 doesnt... here you have 2 reasons why BH-5 is better than CH-5 chips :D

Hmm..that might explain why I can't do 5-2-2-2 with my Kingston HyperX PC3500 I just got. 5-3-3-2 works fine, but 2-2 don't.

ch-5 can reach higher general spees
bh-5 hits its roof a bit sooner,

ch-5 cannot do 2-2-2-6 on 200mhz
bh-5 can do 2-2-2-6 on 200mhz

basicly, ch-5 is faster, but it has to drop timings a lot sooner than bh-5 to reach those speeds... (though some bh-5 reach 290fsb too sometimes... though mebbs thats with divider..)

so you are telling me that if i set the voltage on my MB to 2.9v it will still get only 2.6v?... yeah right... :rolleyes: , then why does it make a difference what kind of volt's i'm giving it? i can do 205fsb whit 2.6v, with 2.7v i can do 220... the same timings

wierdAL said:
so you are telling me that if i set the voltage on my MB to 2.9v it will still get only 2.6v?... yeah right... :rolleyes: , then why does it make a difference what kind of volt's i'm giving it? i can do 205fsb whit 2.6v, with 2.7v i can do 220... the same timings

And you have CH-5?

Nee ways,
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Introduce Yourself:D

I bought my ram today... PC3200 KHX ... 2 sticks of 256... one of the sticks is bh-5 (non-a) and the other stick is ch-5 (has A)...
Im very not familiar with dual channel... how am i supposed to set the modules in the mainboard???? And have 2 different sticks (bh-5 and ch-5) would it affect my overclock drastically??

My rig (building soon):
P4 2.4c
Abit IS7-G
2x256 pc3200 KHX

Any help would be great..

Thanks

I feel bad. I got my dad 2x256mb sticks of buffalo pc3200 ram with ch-5 chips. I can't even run it over 205 at 2.7volts and ANY timings!

Quailane said:
I feel bad. I got my dad 2x256mb sticks of buffalo pc3200 ram with ch-5 chips. I can't even run it over 205 at 2.7volts and ANY timings!

Wow... that sucks... Maybe up the voltage? BH-5 chips really like voltage.

The coming monday I'm going back to the store to change it for a bh-5 :D

yes i have CH-5 twinmos, 2x512mb... and a really crapy nf7-s (it's a rev.1.2) so i can't do anything higher than 220,...

I just recieved my 2 x 512 sticks of Buffalo PC3200 C 2.5 (winbond CH-5) and it passes Memtest 86 v3.0 at 215MHz with the timings @ 2.0, 3, 3, 11 at 2.6 volts... in dual channel !!

can't test any higher, as my locked barton craps out at that speed any how...

at $73 bucks a stick.... I'm very happy with it's performance, and value for money!!:D :D :D

malon said:
CH-5 doesnt like 2-2-2 over 200mhz FSB while BH-5 does, CH-5 has volt. regulator so no matter what volt. you give it, the chip is always @ ~2.6v, BH-5 doesnt... here you have 2 reasons why BH-5 is better than CH-5 chips :D

That doesn't make any sense!
I can run my TwinMOS CH-5 in 230, but only with 3.2v
If I try to run it in a lower voltage I'm gettin' Ziltch (nothing/**** whatever).

Suma.

i just got a 512 stick of buffalo and it has the BH5 chips on it....woohoo i cant wait to unwrap it...:D

Back