• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston - OCZ - Corsair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiMpShiN

Kingston - OCZ - Corsair - Mushkin

I just purchased 2 x Kingston Hyper X PC4000 1GB of ram and i was thinking that if it would be better if i got Corsair or OCZ or Mushkin memory instead of that and if so which ones. I would like to hear some professional opinons on this.

Also I can't get both of the sticks to work. I'm guessing that its because its PC4000 and I doubt that its the mobo because I have a ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe.

Firstly Welcome to the Forums!!

Secondly it usually takes some time for people to reply to a new thread. You just have to give it some time ;)

It is possible that since your mobo doesn't support the 500mhz PC-4000 that it is clocking the memory down to 400mhz (PC-3200) and the memory doesn't like it. I know all memory is downward compatible but this could be the case. Also you could have some bad chips. You might be better off though sending the Hyper-X back and getting a Kingston 1gig PC-3200 kit. There is a chance that the 3200's will have BH-5 chips (excellent for OC'ing). The other manufacturers are good as well. Most people here love Mushkin's with OCZ and Kingston following behind. Then Corsair & Crucial bringing up the rear. But as always YMMV with any PC component. ;)

I understand what you're saying and due to me looking around the forums area I've learned a bit. Tomarrow Im going to return the memory that i bought. Im still trying to decide whether i should get some PC3200 HyperX CL2 with the BH-5 chips, but also I have become very fond of the Mushkin memory because of its low latency and the possibilites of it coming with the BH-5 chips.

Also are the BH-5 chips going to be on the slightly older memory because luckily you can tell between the old and new HyperX's due to the box.

And if i manage to find a HyperX with the BH-5 chip would there any difference between its capabilites compared to the Mushkin and OCZ?

I appreciate the welcome as well, thanks.

p.s. Im also going to create a thread asking this question because i would like to know what they know about the difference.

The Kingston's are not guaranteed to have BH-5 unfortunately. The only way to tell is to take the heat spreaders off. After you do that you wouldn't be able to take them back. Right now only the Mushkin lvl 2 Black and the OCZ EL Plat's are guaranteed to have BH-5 in PC-3200. Check out this Thread over in the Memory section. The only real difference could be the timings but the Kingston and Mushkin’s are the same in that effect.

If you do a search and read over everything comparing the 3500's to the 3200's you should be able to make your decision. IMHO I would go with the 3200's since they have the best cost / performance ratio. Since you OC why spend more for only a 33mhz difference ;)

Back