• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to Choose Cores...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Well as x-mas comes around, teen aged computer geeks around the world will be begging their parents for the new hardware, i just happen to be one of those geeks. My current setup is in my sig. First of, i will overclock this CPU pretty heavily since i will have this new wonder of divider locks. My mobo will be the Abit NF7-s and i will be getting new ram (the speed of the ram will depend on the FSB of the CPU i get and my final budget). My main question is whether to go with the barton 2500+ or the 2400+(which is unlocked?) or is there a better overclocking chip lurking around that is nearly guarenteed to trumph both of them? My basic question however is whether the locking on the barton is that important or if it wont be that serious of an issue. I have no experience with multiplier OCing since all iv ever OCd is this 1.2 gig PIII which is locked so, while i do know the basic technique, i dont know how much it really matters.
Thanks, Z.

a 2500+ barton with a 11x multiplier easily hits 2.2GHz and mostly on stock voltage.
but the unlocked multiplier on the 2400+ (if you can find one unlocked) would allow more overclocking for the CPU after the other components start saying no.

I would go for the 2500+ since I'm pretty sure you can get 220x11 outta those things and I'm not sure whether the 2400+ is unlocked.

my 2.5 cents, always giving more!

I just got a 2400+ AXDA week 44..... SIXIB?? what does that mean?

I did a search and nothing came up. Anyone know how overclockable it is? and what the SIXIB means?

EDIT:

Yeah a barton sounds better since it has extra cache too...

Core Serial

AXDA2400KV3C
SIXIB 0344MPM

Last edited:
Huh, wow, they're making T-Breds in week 44....

You have a locked 2400+ Thoroughbred B stuck at multiplier 15.

This is not good as you'll be limited to 140s FSB, low 150s at the very most.

...but if you have PC2100 RAM, it's just as well since average PC2100 usually can't go higher than that anyway.

I would go with a +2500 Barton and 2x256mb PC3200 or if your budget allows PC3500. The PC3200 and +2500 will get you to +3200 (200x11) pretty easily. Although the newer chips are locked, they do seem to o/c better than the older ones. Decent ram gets you over the slight hurdle of no multipliers.

peace.
unloaded

My motherboard is not known for higher than 155FSB

I expected that and choose my CPU accordingly. Also my ram is PC2700 so it doesn't really matter to me that much.. as long as a get a good CPU overclock.

I'll test it out and see how it goes... IT is a weird stepping. What do you mean WHOA they have T-bred B's in week 44?? They didn't say they were stopping production.

EDIT:

The CPU is Family 6
Generation 7
Model 8
Stepping 1

Does that mean it is a new model? the SIXIB?

Last edited:
Back