• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey all ! Memory advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InVision

Got a ic7-max3 MO. Considering new memory.

Looking at..

- Muskin 3500 LVLII Black
- OCZ 4000 EL Gold Kit
- Corsair (don't know which, but @ 37% in your poll, I know I should)

My system should show up at bottom, but this is my 1st post so we will see....

Thanks All!!

A lot of ppl are getting nice results with Muskin 3500 LVLII Black stuff, I would go for it :D

[color=dark-blue]WELCOME TO THE FORUMS![/color]

id go for the mushkin lvl II, it has BH-5 chips guaranteed, these chips will make sure you gain a better OC with lower RAM timings :)

ps: try to reduce the size of your sig please :) use the size command to reduce it :D

command = [ size=1 ] text here [ /size ]

Thank for the advice on sig.

I noticed you are using Corsair and recommending OCZ, care to elaborate???

Thanks

Last edited:
me and malon both recommended Mushkin... but anyway..

im using corsair, because at the time of my purchase, i did not fully understand what bh-5 and ch-5 etc ment, so i chose the wrong RAM, id really! like to bring back my ram, and switch it for some BH-5 :drool:

infact, you can say, i decided to fast, without understanding the tips and WOA's Larva had given me...

Picked up Corsair TWINX1024-PC4000 .

Got a great price.!!

I'll report back on trial test....

Mike

Didn't every one recomend Mushkin to him? InVision, Corsair and Kingston are both good memory, but the OCZ and Mushkin are the only ones guaranteed to have bh-5 chips. In the end, you get what you pay for.

lol i find that kind of funny how everyone is like mushkin and jognt said (s)he has corsair but wish (s) he would have bought mushkin. then he posts i just bought corsair!. priceless

my vote is for 3500 mushkin. i love my stick.

In rebuttal, I have cheap Corsair PC3200. They have been flawless performers... Got a 1/2 price deal on PC4000 twin.

I'll be sure to let you know how it all comes out. Also, Corsair is easily the highest percent on the best memory sticky thread.

Besides it got you all worked up... :-0

;-)

Merry Christmas !!

Thanks

im having a deja-vu here lol...

when i was shoppin for RAM, i asked Larva what to get, kingston pc3000 possible BH-5, or corsair pc3200 CH-5, Larva could somehow not get me to choose the kingston stick, since i was afraid of how it would run at 200mhz (bein pc3000 and all)

i got pc3200 corsair, that i have now.. and about a week after i bought the RAM, i finally learnt the difference between CH-5 and BH-5... ive tried countless of times to RMA the RAM.. but they wouldnt let me lol...

word of advice... try to get rid of the corsair, and get mushkin, you WILL thank us one day ;)

ps: the pcxxxx names dont mean all that much... some people have got pc3200 bh-5 OC'ed higher than other people's CH-5 pc4000 will ever go...

Must admit I really do not understand the CH-5/BH-5 thing.

On the A-BIT forum there has been plenty of threads on problems with the Mushkin memory and IC7-MAX3 board.

So we will see. My system is running 260MHz rock solid with Corsair value ram now at 5:4. I wanted to experiment with 1:1 and see if my system worked Photoshop, Premiere & After effects any faster. It is not a big loss if need to order another set of ram.

Thanks all....

the pc4000 should run that speed at 1:1 so id use it if i were you... if its running DC youd be losing about 1500mb/s RAM bandwith...

about bh-5 and ch-5

bh-5 are the old chips, they can run tighter timings at higher FSB's
CH-5 are the new chips, they cant run tight timings like BH-5, but in general they can OC higher than BH-5 with loose timings..

you wonder --> why use CH-5 if BH-5 gives better timings at 200mhz even !?!?!?! answer --> because CH-5 is also cheaper to produce...

BH-5 : can run 2-2-2-5 at 200mhz
CH-5 : can run 2-3-2-6 at 200mhz...

Back