• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

hey, guys, i got my self a 2.4 M0 and ofcrouse the intel chip came with a heatsink. Since at the moment i do not have a better colling solution ( i will get one after christmas tho ), and i do have AS5, i want to knwo what i have to do to the Heatsink so that i can apply the AS5. As mostly everyone who has a P4 knows, there is this black stuff under the heatsink. I was just wondering, if i had to remove that stuff before i applied the AS5? or can i just apply the AS5 onto the cpu and stick the heatsink on as it came? and if i have to remove the black stuff, how would i remove it?

raven

Last edited:
The "black stuff" is a thermal paste type pad just its pretty sucky dont use it just put the AS-5 on.

Removing the pad is simple just use some nail varnish remover and a lint free cloth.

Someone will go into more detail about getting a solution that 97% alcohol or something, instead of the nail varnish remover.

you can remove that pad easily. if you havent used the stock HSF yet, its very easy..

the black TIM is on a metal plate, that glued to the HS on both edges, about 4cm*.5cm, you can remove that metal pad, and remove the glue with some rubbing alcohol...

i removed the pad, i dont know if other just removed the TIM, but let the pad stay in place....

pros of leaving pad inplace (without TIM):
- easy to know where to apply AS5

cons of leaving the pad inplace:
- maybe the pad will reduce heat transfer, because its just another material the heat will have to pass through...

well i found some nail polish remover.. would that work?

Like i already removed that metal pad liek thing. and now what is left is some glue residue and some thermal pad residue of some sort underneath the heat sink

btw.. im trying this out on a 1.8 celly heatsink instead of the 2.4 heatsink first, just to get the hang of it

ah k, remove the glue residue, with rubbing alcohol, or the nail polish remover, and make sure nothing is left on it..

NOT EVEN A FINGER PRINT, or a paper fiber... these things can ruin how AS5 works...

if the HS is very rough underneath, maybe you should lap it first..

(rough as in, if you scrape your finger nail over it, your nail gets viled/filed or something..)

Jognt said:
ah k, remove the glue residue, with rubbing alcohol, or the nail polish remover, and make sure nothing is left on it..

NOT EVEN A FINGER PRINT, or a paper fiber... these things can ruin how AS5 works...

if the HS is very rough underneath, maybe you should lap it first..

(rough as in, if you scrape your finger nail over it, your nail gets viled/filed or something..)

Thanks, ill give that a try. I just read the cooling guide stickey today, and now i knwo how to lap a HeatSink =) im soo happy!

cant wait till christmas to come around so i can get a nice cooling system!

ok, i also found some isopropyl rubbing alcohol. USP, contains 70% v/v isopropyl alcohol

would that be ok to use as well? or should i get somethign with a higher content of isopropyl alcohol?

its better to use denatured alcohol as that rubbing alcohol stuff u can buy from the corner store would leave too much residue...think about it, thers an extra 30% of stuf that would be left behind, denatured alcohol is best for cleaning up after lapping or using nail polsih remover (u can find it at most hardware stores or sometimes at wal-mart in hardware area)

denatured alcohol is a higher purity, like at least 90% i think

dalilman52 said:
its better to use denatured alcohol as that rubbing alcohol stuff u can buy from the corner store would leave too much residue...think about it, thers an extra 30% of stuf that would be left behind, denatured alcohol is best for cleaning up after lapping or using nail polsih remover (u can find it at most hardware stores or sometimes at wal-mart in hardware area)

denatured alcohol is a higher purity, like at least 90% i think

true, you can use 70% but 90+% is recommended

ok.. so i just want to make one more thing clear.. on the intel stock heatsink, do i take off the metal type thing that the thermal stuff is on? i do right?

i just want to get this right. so that i dont have to give out more $$$ cus i screwed this up =s

yes, i removed it and she works fine :)

if youd let it stay there, it would be just one more substance for the heat to move through.. which would lead to worse cooling, be sure to remove the glue residue afterwards...

good luck!

edit: woohoo, fifth star! booyaa

Jognt said:
yes, i removed it and she works fine :)

if youd let it stay there, it would be just one more substance for the heat to move through.. which would lead to worse cooling, be sure to remove the glue residue afterwards...

good luck!

edit: woohoo, fifth star! booyaa

Hey thanks.. i just wanted to make sure that if i removed that thing it wouldnt like make my cpu fry up.

congrats on the 5th star =)

raven said:

Hey thanks.. i just wanted to make sure that if i removed that thing it wouldnt like make my cpu fry up.

congrats on the 5th star =)

just remember after doing it, lap up to around 1000-1500 grit, then clean up with high purity alcohol then follow instructions at www.arcticsilver.com for AS5

dalilman52 said:

just remember after doing it, lap up to around 1000-1500 grit, then clean up with high purity alcohol then follow instructions at www.arcticsilver.com for AS5

I dont know what grit sand paper i have, but all i know is that it is very fine. its called emery cloth. and the other sand paper i have is labeled as being "Fine" so, lets hope that is more then 600 grit.

raven said:

I dont know what grit sand paper i have, but all i know is that it is very fine. its called emery cloth. and the other sand paper i have is labeled as being "Fine" so, lets hope that is more then 600 grit.

RIGHT HERE is a good place to go if u are first starting to lap or uve never done it b4..good tutorial, also, dont forget to read the cooling stickies

Ok, so i got my system up and running. one thing i messed up on was that i kinda put too much pressure on one of my temp sensors and its under my heatsink, and so now i have to take it off. So since i already put AS5 on it, how do i go about cleaning that stuff off? is it just the same thing? i wipe off the AS5, clean the heatsink with some isopropyl alcohol, and then apply some more AS5? how do i clean the chip? do i just wipe the AS5 off or do i use like a q-tip and soak that in isopropyl and wipe the chip with that? Plus should i lap my heatsink again? or can i put AS5 overtop of AS5?

Last edited:
Back