• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing my Celeron 2.4ghz- very very newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I want to overclock my computer for one reason : for faster load time on Warcraft 3. Could this processor even be overclocked?
I'll try to give you all the specs I can find on my PC. Can you try to give me some recommendations on what I should get (cooling, ram, video card) thats not too pricey$$, without overclocking. Just tell me what I should change in my computer, overclocking is just another option thank you :)

Processor- Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz Northwood
Supported Speed- 3200 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage- 1.5V
Ram- 512mb 333mhz DDR-SDRAM PC2700 Kingston
Ram Voltage- SSTL 2.5
Video Card- Radeon 7000 Series (RV100) 64 Mb
Power Supply- 350W
Hard Drive- 82gig 7200rpm
CD rom drive- 9,525 Kb/s (54x )
Sound Card- SoundMAX Digital Audio System
Voltage- 1.552V
BIOS- ASUS P4XP-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
Chassis Fan- 2376
Processor Fan- 2556 rpm
Processor Temp.- 29.5C
Mainboard Temp.- 36C
Hard Disk Temp.- 27C

you can try getting a new GFX card, that sure as hell would decrease load times!

what options do you have in the BIOS? can you fix the AGP/PCI ratio? can you use RAM dividers?

1.) Whats GFX card?
2.) How do I get into BIOS?
3.) What good will changing the AGP/PCI ratio do?
4.) Whats RAM dividers?
5.) Did I mention I am a newbie?

Welcome to the forums Firestrider! In answer to your questions..

1- GFX = Graphics card / Video card

2- You can get into the BIOS by hitting the delete key when you turn your system on or re-start it.

3- On your motherboard the FSB (Front side Bus), AGP bus, and PCI bus are are all tied in together. This is where one of the divider settings comes into play. An AGP bus is meant to run at 66Mhz, and the PCI on half of that (33Mhz). At stock speed, you will have a FSB to PCI ratio of 1/3. 1/3rd of your FSB being 33.333, your FSB being set to 100. When you overclock an Intel CPU you have to raise the FSB. When you raise the FSB it changes the the speed that your AGP and PCI bus runs at because you're still running a 1/3 divider for them.

example: Say you raise your FSB to 115. Your CPU would now be running at 2.76Ghz. The multiplyer for your CPU is 24 (you can't change the multiplyer on Intel CPU's). Your AGP and PCI would now run at 76.666Mhz and 38.333Mhz respectively. This is outside the norm for your video card and any other PCI cards you may have, and can cause problems with stability of your system.

4- RAM dividers work much the same way PCI/FSB dividers work. Your ram sould be running at a 2/3 divider right now. Once again, increasing your FSB will alter this and you RAM will be run faster than it's meant to be, and can also be the cause of system instability.

5- Yes, you did mention that you're new here. But, that's ok. We're here to help. :)

I'd suggest you read through this...

CLICK HERE.

You can OC celerons fairly well. Even though they suck.

You can change the FSB to 133 on that board which should get you a nice 3.19 GHz. Don't jump in all at once though - increase the FSB to about 110 to see if your computer likes overclocking, then jump to the lowest clock that the 1/4 divider kicks in at. It should be ~127 or something like that.

This is what I found on my BIOS:

AGP/PCI Freq. Setting - Auto or Manual
CPU/Memory Freq. Ration - Auto or 1:1 or 3:4
SDRAM config. - By SPD or User Define
CPU Speed - 2400 or Manual
CPU Vcore setting - Auto or Manual

I don't see anywhere where I can change the FSB.

l337: Could I do that now or would I need better cooling? I have 4 fans: 1 intake in the back top, 2 outtake on the side bottom, and one directly on the processor. Their speeds are in my first post. I don't think "thermal paste" was applied on putting these fans.

Edit: What programs do you guys use to test temperatures at full load and idle on your processor? Thanks for all the help.
Edit2: Any recommendations on a good video card to get?

Last edited:
On the cpu speed, change that to manual, and see what options it gives you.

For the video card, and depending on budget I'd look into these.

$100-Geforce 4 ti 4200
$200-Nvidia 5900NU

When I set CPU Speed to 2400mhz the option CPU external frequency (mhz) comes up with the choices of 100-400 is this my front side bus?

Celerons overclock very well, please use these forums to learn more about this great hobby and be sure to let us know what overclocks you get in the future!

Well I put my FSB to 110 and got a core speed of 2646mhz I dont know how to see what my temperature is at idle and at load though.

This what happened after a few tests:
Speed 2.77ghz 2.88ghz 3.00ghz
Temp. 24.5C 23C 22C
FSB 115 mhz 120mhz 125mhz
Fan 2596rpm 2596rpm 2616rpm

My temperature is decreasing?! And my processor fan speed is increasing, my fans are collection alot of dust now and seem like they are going full throttle. Is this normal? How do I know if my computers running stable?

Last edited:
Back