• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Grease or pad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

I was browsing the AMD website and devicided to view the installation video's and tips for socket A cooling fans and heatsinks. They seem to suggest the use of a thermal pad over thermal grease but it seems that everyone uses grease, why??? Also, if you use thermal grease, do you have to change it regularly or anything? I am using a barton 2500+ and working overclocking it so I am in the market for a better hs/f. Here is the link to AMD's video support stuff:

Video file: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/section5-high.wmv

page: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_4348^6678,00.html

*EDIT* Sorry, I guess I can't get the page link to display right...

definatly Thermal Grease...

Arctic Silver 5 is the best one out there, and gives way better temps as opposed to the standard pad...

yeah, i think the pad is more recommended by AMD becuase its basically idiot-prof, a dyslexic alligator wouldn't be able to mess up the installation, plus the pads don't degrade as much over time and are better suited for long-term applications, while grease is prone to pump-out, or the degradation of the grease

gvblake22 said:
does it need to be changed or replaced after any ammount of time?

yes, i think so, but id do this like once in a couple of months just to be sure... your going to open up the case plenty times anyway.. if your going to work on it a lot :)

I haven't replaced the thermal grease on my rig for over 10 months and I have no issues at all. But ask yourself...What overclocker wouldn't crack the case and mess with you CPU or something for any real extended period of time. ;)

Back