• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attaching fan to heatsink question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

globalgrl

Registered
I've already installed my P4 chip on the motherboard. I've installed the heatsink over that and I think I have it on right but am not entirely sure. The right side slants at about a 30 degree angle than the left side. There seems to be a little more cushion than I would think should be. Then again, I've never put this together before so I'm not sure. Everything is clipped in and I've read the directions, looked at Tom's Hardware Guide and it looks like it's in but not entirely sure. Is this normal or should I start over with this? What would be the outcome if this isn't locked down entirely? Thanks in advance!

well first, if the heatsink isnt making contact with the cpu, obiviously it wont be doing much so ur comp may overheat/get a bunch of errors/shut down, basically many things could happen, just try making the heatsink go down all the way so that its perfectly straight and sits even with the cpu, it may take some practice, but at least u wont burn some expensive parts in ur system

try to reseat it, put the HS on the P4 IHS, then put the clips in place, it should sit in position perfectly....

Jognt said:
try to reseat it, put the HS on the P4 IHS, then put the clips in place, it should sit in position perfectly....

yeah, i own an AMD system but ive built a few P4 systems...if it doesnt go in right the first time, just un-do the latches then try to re-seat it, it should eventually go in right

many thanks

Thanks to all, have to stop for the day but will try again tomorrow...so far it is fun even in the frustration!

Back