• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mofset cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I was curious,how many of you are cooling your mofsets on the NF7,and what are you using?

Thanks

Currently I just have an 80mm fan over the mosfet area. I'm going to be adding heatsinks to them this week to help stabilize 1.95v+.

I'm cooling mine with pieces of an old copper hs that I cut up to fit each of the mofsets. A Dreamel tool is a wonderfull thing, don't know what I'd do without it.

Ducker said:
I'm cooling mine with pieces of an old copper hs that I cut up to fit each of the mofsets. A Dreamel tool is a wonderfull thing, don't know what I'd do without it.

Just bought a brand new Dremel:D
Now I know what to do with it...Thanks guys;)

Dave, that little tool has helped me out of sooooooo many tight spots on lots and lots of projects! And building & working on computers it's become invauable to me. Just wait till you want to do a case mod.....it's the perfect all round tool!

Last edited:
Ducker said:
Dave, that little tool has helped me out of sooooooo many tight spots on lots on lots of projects! And building & working on computers it's become invauable to me. Just wait till you want to do a case mod.....it's the perfect all round tool!

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl:D :D

Damn - I wish I had a dremel, I am as helpless as a baby by myself, I need to borrow tools from my neighbour :(

I use OCZ BGA RAMSinks on my Mosfets - I cut them down to size with a Copig saw (seriously, they are really clean), and attached them with Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy.

At 2.06 in the BIOS - 1.95 actual, they heat up to the point that I cannot even touch them without burning myself. I guess this indicates that they are working - they also cool off completely in less than a minute after the computer has been shut-off; that tells me that they are dissapating heat really well. I need to get a fan on them.

Here's what the little sinks look like all toasty warm and stuck to the motherboard.

If you are planning on adding some sinks to your mosfets be sure to do a little rough measuring first - there are several obstructive bits around the Mosfets that may require you to do some cutting, and planning. Your best bet is to chop up an Aluminum Heatsink into little pieces, lap them, and attach them.

If you use air cooling your CPU heatsink and fan are generating "overflow" airflow that blows over the mosfets, and which should do a decent job of dissipating the heat off of any heatsinks you add.

Attachments

• mosfet sinks up close.jpg
    mosfet sinks up close.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 382
For cutting Heat sinks i have found tat a scroll saw works very nicely, not as good as a dremel but it dose the job as long as you take your time and not break alot of blades..........

I just checked to see how hot my mofsets were and they were barely warm,my SLK 800 blows air right on them+ I have a fan in my case door that blows on them,but I got some old heat sinks I am going to cut up with my new dremel:D and thermal tape them on,I may not need them but I have to break in my new toy:D

Without any tools I don't think there's anything you can do except get some tools or ask someone else to do the cutting for you

I cut up the larger to the 2 extra heatsinks that comes with the Vantic Iceburg northbridge kit (the smaller one is one my southbridge). I also have my back case fan blowing in and it runns air across them.

When I ordered my Vantec Copper Iceberq they send 2 heatsinks a long with them. I am going to cut them up and place them on my Mofsets just for some added cooling

I did the same thing Chaos Snake did with the Vantec Iceberg heatsinks. I also have a 60mm fan blowing right on the heatsinks.

9mmCensor said:
Anyone ever used microcool heatsinks are they any good?

I use them and they work very fine.

Chipsink_foto_2.jpg

Now there are olso micro Sink for smaller MOSFET :eek:

Chipsink_foto_3.jpg

Back