• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac Memory Quick Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stryder2720

My sister has a 450mhz G4 and as of now it only has 128mb of PC133. Can I just buy two 256 sicks and put in in there or do I need special MAC ONLY Ram? And PC133 maxes out at 512mb right? Its 1 of her Christmas presents:D
~Thanks all

Just about any pc133 ram will work, but I'd just keep each stick to 256mb. There might be some compatability issues with some ram, but I seriously doubt it.

Wait a minute, open the comp to make sure it is not using notebook ram. I know this sounds silly, but my iMac uses it.

Quailane said:
Just about any pc133 ram will work, but I'd just keep each stick to 256mb. There might be some compatability issues with some ram, but I seriously doubt it.

Thats what most people think. There are two different forms of PC133 memory. There is high and low density memory.

For MACs you NEED low density memory or anything else will NOT work.

If you want 512MB modules then you need to look for 32x8. If you want 256MB modules then you need 16x8.

If you go to a site that states "100% compatiblity" then they are selling the low density memory since it is compatible with ALL PCs using PC133 or PC100 SDRAM.

Back