• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket pin mod... HELP wanted please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WobbZ

Registered
Ok guys,

I really would like to do a socket mod (wire trick) on my mobo so I can bump my XP2200+ AIUHB (yes, B!) 0325 up a bit, as my PC2100 isnt the greatest for overclocking...

I'd like to go for like 15-16x multiplier... i've used that overclock.de pin guide (haven't tried it yet, got a few questions)...

Now as you may know, the XP2200+ has a standard multiplier of 13.5... It's currently running in a Via KT333 based board (Soltek SL75-DRV5, running @ 2100 like a charm... **** ram limiting me BIG time)...

Questions:

1) Do i have to use the "unlock" socket pin mod if changing the multi via the socket? (doesn't this only unlock the lower multipliers... i need to go up!? what do i do!?)
2) Do i just go ahead an stick my wire in the socket after this, insert CPU and boot-up? (multi will be set to "auto" detect, correct?)

Cheers guys,

Christian

You're already running high range multi. Do you have a multiplier control in your BIOS/dipswitches? If so use it. doing the wire trick will only reduce your default CPU multi to x5.5. If you want to use the wire trick to set a different multiplier just select the one u want using this link

Ok, I'm majorly confused now...

I DID the wire trick for a 15x multiplier... and NOTHING happened... still read as an XP2200 @ 133fsb (1.8ghz)... the multiplier of 15 should have made it ~2ghz...

But NO, it didn't stinking work...

I can adjust my multiplier via the dip switches, I GUESS (i can change multiplier via the dips, but aren't these only for 7-12.5 as stated in the manual? or are they now higher because im in high range? this is a via KT333 based board you know...)

Cheers,

Christian

I think people said the upper ranges should be unlocked...

You can assume Adding 8x to the 7-12.5 range I THINK...

But there will be differences... some of the lower multis may be a super high multi

I am pretty sure that after the socket trick the higher multipliers can be acessed through the BIOS - the multipliers where two options are visible (I.E. 5X/13X) will just give you the higher of the two - IIRC, I may be wrong.

Are you sure that you put the wires in the correct sockets, and they were making good contact with the correct pins?

Originally posted by felinusz:
I am pretty sure that after the socket trick the higher multipliers can be acessed through the BIOS - the multipliers where two options are visible (I.E. 5X/13X) will just give you the higher of the two - IIRC, I may be wrong.

I dont think that the wire trick allows the multi's to be accessed by BIOS, I am pretty sure the manually force the CPU to the desired multiplier.....hence the multiple combinations - one for each multi. I could also be wrong though....heh

With best wishes,
Tray

You have to cut a bridge to get the multi to work. I am using the Pin mod just fine. So far my 1800XP is now at 1.75 volts and 430mghz on the FSB. From 1.5v and 266mghz.

The pin mod works great, you gotta read the instruction VERY CAREFULLY!!!!

The only things you can change without cutting anything is the FSB / Voltage thats it!

That should be plenty. Then use the dip switches to change the multi. Hopefully you will end up with somethin colse or beyond my sig.

The Pin mod FORCES the chip to act a certian way. It will show up in the BIOS but it will be stock.(as if the chip was made that way) Then from there you can play with it. But you will only be able to raise whatever value you inputed into the CPU.

Be careful the Pin mod bends pins. I almost broke one of my JIHUB's pins off tryin to get it outta the socket:eek: so be very careful.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Stupid pin mod :eek:

I might just buy some Kinston Hyper X 3000 ram... 1x512mb stick... can get it at a good price... then just FSB OC baby :p

She's currently @ 2.1ghz @ 1.625v... gonna try for lower volts... so i KNOW this chip will OC prety well... had it to [email protected], but my ram was ****...

Back