• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the life on an oced 2500 barton? (11x200)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackaroo

Registered
I overclocked my 2500 barton to 11x200 and was wondering how long you guys think this thing will last? The vcore is still stock, it seams to run ok without it up. At peaks my cpu will get to 48c and the artic silver isnt matured yet.

Is there a way to calculate the life?

from what ive heard, vcore is the only thing that decreases your cpu's life. if you want to learn more, do a forum search on blacks equation. your temps are fine, though for the paranoid they are a little high.

Have you stability tested that speed? Try running "Prime95" (a google search will net the program for you) Torture testing on it to make sure that it is a stable overclock - you don't want random crashes and lockups!

That aside, at that speed, and temperature, and with a stock (1.6) to 1.7ish Vcore your processor *should* live about 5-10 years if there are no "faults" with it. Your temperatures seem kinda high though - under full prime95 load I'll bet they would pass 50 Degrees celcius. You might want to invest in a full copper heatsink (a Thermalright SLK 800, or an SLK 900 being two of the best choices), and a quiet 80mm Panaflo H1A fan to keep the chip cooler, and even overclock it a little higher.

I remember the great debate back in '98 when everyone overclocking their Celeron 300A to over 66% above specs was greeted everywhere with "didn't your CPU burn yet?" :rolleyes:

Well my overclocked Celeron 300A still runs at 504 MHz after what - almost 6 years.

48c is the temperatures I get when I run prime for 2 hours. Then I turn my fan all the way on and it drops to 42c

hey my 300A is still running @ 450, it's now in my bro-in-laws computer :D

If you're running @ stock and temp is in range (< 50C) I don't thing you need to worry about it, I think your cpu would obsolete first before it dies out ;)

Back