• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Overclock.Total N0ob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duddy11

Registered
I was wandering. I have an AMD Duron 700 mhz processor. I want to overclock it to 900 Mhz. I was told I would be able to do that easily. But I have NO clue how to overclock. Is there a certain program I have to use. I was also told you have to edit your BIOS? what is that and how do I get into that BIOS? Also, If I Overclock, will I need to put more fans in my case? Thanks guys, hope this is enough info

to get into your bios, you have to hold the del key when your computer first boots up. depending on how good your case is cooled right now, you may or may not need to put in better cooling.

in any case good luck! if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

gusgizmo is right. No extra programs, just the bios (maybe programs to check your temps in windows - MBM5 for instance).

You should read the stickies on it and you should check out articles at www.overclockers.com before you jump in so that you understand how it works. You should probably be able to reach 900mhz but no gaurentees, and you may, like gusgizmo said, have ot get better cooling (if you have stock and bad case cooling you probably will).

Nee ways,
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Introduce Yourself:D

Well, I got into the BIOS, and I couldnt adjust the ROM speed or anything like that. Just what kind of POST (quick or full), time and date, things like that. I was told i have to adjust the JUMPERS? lol now Im REALLY REALLY confused :S

is there any setting for multiplier in there, or FSB (front side bus)? also, jumpers are kinda like switches, and they are inside your computer on the motherboard. do you have a manual for the motherboard? it usually has jumper settings.

I have a Compaq 06E4H mobo
An AMD Duron 701 MHz Processor
3 128 SDRam
Im unsure of my PSU, but I know the amount of Volts: 115 V

And I lost my compaq User Manual a LONG time ago, If someone could find an Adobe one online I would reallly reallllly love that! hope this helps guys

Also. the mobo isnt supported on MBM 5. are there any programs that would support this old mobo? also, Is there a way to add it to the list or make it so it is listed? :D thanks guys

You probably can't OC with that, and if so not easily, I would upgrade to stuff that is easier and simply better before you try to start OCing. However you might be able to OC with software, I don't know any though :/

hi every1, i also want to overclock my cpu i have the same motherboard as the topic creator, is there no hope for us? i was planning to use it in a science fair :shrug:

A duron 700, man that brings back memories. I had (still have on the shelf) a duron 650 that overclocked to 1GHz on my A7V. I had to crank the AC to keep it cool because I didn't have the new FOP38 at the time. That was before the "copper revolution" for heatsinks.

Back on topic :D. If it's a compaq OEM board, you probably won't be able to overclock. If you open it and find a retail motherboard (OEMs sometimes use retail motherboards in their computers) then there is a chance of overclocking if you flash the BIOS to the retail model BIOS. This is risky though, and personally I don't think you're ready for this. However, if the motherboard is a branded compaq board, you can kiss overclocking goodbye on that computer. You need to look and see what the motherboard says inside the case.

For software overclocking, I think you would need a mobile processor. Back then I don't think software overclocking desktop chips was supported. It is now, but back then I don't think so.

ya its an oem mobo, thnx acid rain :( but i also have another processor that i want to overclock, its an AMD k6-2. dont have the mobo specs yet but ill post them after. anyways it came in an old "Aptiva E series 17U" computer from IBM. any way to overclock that?

Ah now we're talkin' :cool:

The K6-2 runs on 2.2-2.4 volts I believe. I have safely brought my old K6-2 350 up to 500MHz, but that was very rare back then, and it was with 2.8v which is the CPU max for that core. I never went above that.

Look for jumpers, that's how you overclock K6-2's. Change the multiplier, and if you have a real good chip and a 83MHz bus, go for the 2x multiplier, which is re-mapped by AMD to 6x. Most K6-2 chips will not overclock to 100 x 6, but there is a socket7 chip that can, and that is the K6-3+ (mobile chip). The K6-3 chip (desktop version - no "+") didn't overclock well, but the mobile K6-3+ did, and it was software-overclockable as well. Usually it would hit 600MHz at 2.2v (default core was 2.0 on mobile chips), and we used a burn-in prog to test for MMX errors. If there were no MMX errors, you were good to go at 600. Popping the heatplate off the top of the chip helped alot too, and was fairly easy. I popped the heatplate off all of mine.

Acid Rain,
I`ve been tormenting K6 PC`s lately as a means of learning without killing my primary rig. I have only been able to achieve 4.5 X 95 with a 350 K6-2 @2.4 Volts core. How did you cool? That any any other tips would be appreciated, the PC has family sentimental value and I`d like for it to support MSN Premium Package (free McAfee firewall, virusguard,etc) that`s inc with our Verizon DSL. I need 500Mhz or better and I`d get a kick outta doing it with the 350.

Back