• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

big fan controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian nelson

i need to make a big fan controller
like 17watts 24v

to controll my new 120m heat sink fan and overvolt it
but dont worry it wont be super mega over volted unless the temps get up abit, or i want to show off how loud my computer can be.

Get a Rehostat from a place like www.mouser.com www.allelectronics.com or somthing like that with the rating you need and hook it up. You probably (almost for sure) won't be able to find a fan controller that can deal with taht that is already made.

EDIT:Oh, thats not for overvoltaing :p

You would need a second PSU for that, or you could hook up the -12v or -5v as the ground to get more voltage. Might give you problems though, You should just get a 120v fan or 24v fan and a second PSU.

Last edited:
Overvolting?

What is the default voltage of the fan and how many CFM does it provide at that voltage? Overvolting a 12v fan to 24v means it ain't going to last very long. They are usually good for up to 15v.

You can build something called a Boost Converter which is a small, highly efficient circuit that boosts voltage at the expense of a larger current draw from the supply. You can buy kit to make one of these (and it will be adjustable).

i was kinda looking forward to ~120-150 cfm at 24v and a nice quite hsf when not doing much
but i think ill give up and go for a normal 12v idea

fan dies...

I just recently overvolted a fan by accident.
Maybe I hit the 12V fan with 16-18V and it died even before it revved up.

Maybe your fan can take 24V, but probably not.

and a converse to Paxmax's statement I've had an 80mm fan at 36 volts (two batteries and a battery charger in series) That lasted about 5 minutes, but at 24 i had a few hours of fun before i jumped up to 36, so it may be durable for a while, but hey do what ever floats your boat

ive had it running at 24v before to test it out,
and i was so impressed with the unreal amount of air going though it that i had that idea

but i dont want something any-less-than-completely-relieable on my cpu

Back