• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

post but no boot with A7N8X-X and 2000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SYT_Shadowfax

Hi. Here's my rig:
2000+ Tbred B
A7N8X-X
512mb 400mhz OCZ Premier mem.

I set it up last night and was all happy to start my first AMD o/c'ing experience.
I let it boot up the first time with stock settings on everything and it goes through post, displays the Win XP progress indicator and then just reboots.
This morning I thought about flashing the BIOS, which I did but to no avail.
It just reboots and reboots after displaying the XP screen and no setting in the bios (apart from stock) can make it boot.

Any thoughts?

I don't have a good answer for you, but, you could always try to boot from an XP CD if you have one. That might let you do a re-install/repair or something.

The indication reminds me of when I've OC'd and the CPU didn't have enough voltage to it..... Since you're 'stock', I don't have a clue!

i was having the same problem. windows start up screen the bar would get 3/4 the way across the bam restart over and over. So i cleared CMOS restarted and it was fine

i dont know if you have tryed that, if you havent and you d o i hope it works for you thats about all i can think of right now if i read anything ill let you know good luck for now i hope you can figure it out

ok, i'll try clearing the CMOS and see if it works... I can't believe ASUS can actually sell a mb that won't boot at stock settings!!!

Argh, dammit!! I reset CMOS and when it reboots it says "CMOS checksum error" but tries to boot anyways after loading defaults (it wasn't overclocked in the first place...) and displays the win xp progress indicator and then does what it always does: reboots itself.

I had the install this PC by myself and it's *possible* I setup the heatsink right, but doubt it very very very much.

:-(

Last edited:
Yes, the HDD's have stayed the same while the mb and CPU have changed.
I really have to do a reinstall? That's kinda bad news cause my XP Pro Cd has been abducted by aliens or something :'(

However, one would think that the OS would give some kind of warning that I have to reinstall instead of just rebooting itself, don't you agree?

it should do but it doesnt

as the old drivers are installed already the new motherboard looks for drivers finds the old motherboard ones doesnt like it and reboots

sorry my friend u got to find a windows cd

what a bummer, but if that will fix it i'll have to find one I guess!

thanks for all the help everyone! When I start o/c'ing I'll post my results ;-)

Back