• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S NB Passive Cooling Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

Anyone know if it is possible to passively cool the north bridge of an NF7-S and still be able to give it 1.7v? I want to remove the waterblock I have on it right now to increase flow and reduce temps so I can put a peltier on my 9800pro without having to put another fan on my heatercore.
Thanks!
Matt

Ya PROBABLY if you have at least some air going by it, ie. good case airflow. You would need somthing like that Zalman passive sink and you still MIGHT have to put a fan on it (quite, small one) if it gives you problems. With a big enough HS and a lil case airflow I be it's possible.

I have had a zalman passive heat sink on my north bridge with no problem. Then again i have pretty good air flow in my case but my overclock is only a XP1700 DLT3C 200x10 @2ghz and 1.525 vcore and everything else default. Does the north-bridge get that hot. Maybe thats why i cant push my cpu too 12x200=2.4ghz with 1.85vcore.

Passive cooling with a good HS and decent airflow should be fine. Those zalman chipset heatsinks are probably better than the stock HSF combo anyhow and you can run 1.7v on the stock hsf easily.

Thanks! If it doesn't work out I guess I could just put a small fan over it, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

MRip said:
Thanks! If it doesn't work out I guess I could just put a small fan over it, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Whats the purpose? (If it's to be quite then no problem you won't need much air, just air moving, it could be all but silent.)

I also have an NF7-S coming soon in the mail and was looking for a good NB heatsink. The Zalmans don't even look like they are made of copper (at least the ones I've seen).

I came across this http://www.maxcooler.com/noname129.html and it looks like a great NB hsf, but it's a little expensive at $35 + shipping

JML,
This one? Looks copper to me.. and it is good, lots of people have used it, on the other hand swiftech is always good (and from what I hear taht is no exception) but it deffinatly isn't passive:p

I've the one that Crash made a link for, and it's aluminum.

Also, you don't need very good cooling on the NB. I have the passive Zalman HS and I can touch the base and it just feels barely lukewarm @ 1.7 volts. You don't need to spend ungodly amounts of money on a huge HS when you can cool the NB just fine with a cheap passive one.

Strida said:
I've the one that Crash made a link for, and it's aluminum.

Also, you don't need very good cooling on the NB. I have the passive Zalman HS and I can touch the base and it just feels barely lukewarm @ 1.7 volts. You don't need to spend ungodly amounts of money on a huge HS when you can cool the NB just fine with a cheap passive one.

:p I guess you are right, hehe guess I should pay a little more attention.

But still everyone I have seen who has it says it's pretty good...

The stock NB cooler on the NF7-s doesnt seem that great anyway, I'm sure that even the passive Zalman would cool better than the cheapy stock cooler. And as long as you arent running P4-like FSB on there, you should be fine :D

Back