• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AT7-Max2 with AMD XP 2700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g60dave

Hi there everyone, just after a bit of advice and well past experience.

Has anyone overclocked the AT7-Max2 and a AMD XP 2700+ CPU?

What power setting etc did you use to get the best results. I just not sure where to start with the overclocking as ive never really messed around with it to much!

Also what other bios setting did you change for example on the memory etc i just want to speed my system up

Thanks

David

Welcome to the Forum!

First, you should know that the XP 2700+ will likely be the LEAST overclockable Athlon since it was the highest speed Thoroughbred core XP produced in significant numbers (the 2800+ was mostly vapor).

With that said, you should have some things lined-up before you begin overclocking:

1. Check you case cooling. Ensure you have good airflow through the case.

2. Monitoring software. I like Motherboard Monitor 5... http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ Use this to monitor temperatures and voltages during your testing.

3. Benchmarking and Stress-testing software. 3DMark03 and PCMark from http://www.futuremark.com/ - Sisoftware Sandra from http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&location=sware_dl&langx=en&a=

Once you have these tools, you should first test your system as it is now to establish base results for temperature and voltages (especially watch the CPU internal diode (LM90 remote)+12V, +5V and Vcore) for significant changes during stress testing.

All of your changes will be in the Bios Smartmenu settings. Begin by increasing the FSB in small increments and test for stability and heat or voltage problems after each change. If the system boots, but is unstable, you can increase the Vcore by one increment and try again. Watch the temperatures more closely as you increase voltage.

To get an idea of what others have done with that CPU, look at http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ Ignore obvious typos, lies, fabrications and any liquid nitrogen cooling.

Thanks for the reply

Ok well cooling should be a problem i have 4 big 80 fans cooling the system but i will keep an eye on the temp's!!

As for the http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb web site its telling me i can turn the core voltage up to 1.85 on my mother board, the default is 1.650 is this right or is it down to me testing the best solution? As you have only mentioned changing the FSB and not the voltage?

Does this mean to change the FSB i need to user define the CPU speed?

It asks to enter a DEC number is that just another term for FSB?

What about the rest of the CPU setting like Ratio Multiplier factor and enhance for benchmark?

If you have got messenger of ICQ and dont mind chating to me on that that would be great as im sorting the other PC out while im on my laptop, if you have can you email your aliais to [email protected]

cheers

You will have to set the CPU speed to User Define and then make adjustments. The CPU FSB should be your first stop. Go from the default 166 to 170 and test for stability. If this works, try a little more until it is unstable. Once the system reaches the point of instability, then and only then should you increase the voltage. Since every chip is different, you can not simply take the settings that someone else has used and apply that to your situation. You must reach your own solution by trial and success.

Just as i thought thanks

Just as a mental note what would be a voltage that is too high to go too, well i suppose the question should be what is a bad temp to take the CPU to?

And what would be a bad value to take the FSB to?

I guess if iw as to upgrade my ram to PC3200 then i would have to do this all again

Thanks again for your help

David

And are you also saying increase the FSB untill unstable then increase the voltage by one then again increase the FSB until unstable etc etc??

Voltage: I tend to be conservative and limit my voltage to 10% over default. Since your chip is a default 1.65V, 10% would be approximately 1.8V.

Temperature: The socket temperature should not exceed 50C under load and the internal diode temperature should stay below 70C under load.

Front Side Bus: The AT7-max2 and the KT400 chipset do not like front side bus speeds close to 200. If the system is stable, there is not "bad" value for FSB. I expect that your chip and motherboard combination will reach 185 to 190 (possibly with a lower multiplier).

Memory: If your memory settings are set to BY SPD, then you will not be limited by memory since the motherboard will always run your memory at the settings encoded on the ddr modules themselves.

If your chip hits a wall with regard to FSB overclocking at a low FSB (under 180), then you should try decreasing the FSB and increasing the multiplier by a half step and try for more performance that way. You are aiming for higher core clock speed with any combination of these two variables.

If you are not already familiar with the procedure to reset the CMOS, do so now. When you overclock and have trouble, tht is your way back to a working machine at default settings.

but are you saying increase FSB till i find a limit and then increase the Voltage?

I just ask as i found the system was unstable at 181, so i increased the voltage to 1.71

Are you saying i should touch the FSB anymore?

Instead try the multiplier?

The cpu speed is 2359

I might need to get a bigger fan on the CPU or possibly redirect one of the big fans to point at it too!

You can try more FSB, but you may be getting close to the limit for the motherboard. Try 13.5x175 or 14x170 at lower voltage as well, working the FSB up again. Be sure to watch your temperatures when you raise the voltage.

Back