• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Ram for OC 512MB or 1 GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottEslick

Registered
I am thinking about getting some ram with BH-5s, would I get better overclocking with 512mb(2x256) or 1 gb(2x512)?

TIA,
Scott

Last edited:
From what I've read, for games you only really need 512. For video/photoshop work you want as much as you can get. However, in the future there will be games that can use more than 512mb.
I think the thing now is to use your dual channel. In some games I can definetely notice the performance hit by cutting back to single channel.

I agree with Larva and MRip. 512 in dual channel is the way to go. This would allow you to get another 512 stick in the future. With dual channel if you wanted a 3rd mem stick you would have to get the same size as both sticks together. So if you were to get 2 x 512 = 1gig. Then decided to get more later you would have to get a 1gig stick. That is very cost prohibative :(

As several others have already noted 2x256 is likely to go higher, albeit at same speed 2x512 would give better bandwidth since they are double banked (that was not the question though).

Are you running your 4000's at 1:1 or 5:4 now?

I noticed that you FSB is rather high, ~294.
Do you have a voltmod or are you considering one?
I think the chances of running 294 5:4 with BH5 at 2.85V are rather slim, wether it is 2x256 or 2x512.

Good luck!
hepp

id go with 1gb ive got 1 stick off 512meg and i cant wait till ive got enuff for another 512meg stick

once u have 1gig off ram u can turn file paging off :)

hepp said:
As several others have already noted 2x256 is likely to go higher, albeit at same speed 2x512 would give better bandwidth since they are double banked (that was not the question though).

Are you running your 4000's at 1:1 or 5:4 now?

I noticed that you FSB is rather high, ~294.
Do you have a voltmod or are you considering one?
I think the chances of running 294 5:4 with BH5 at 2.85V are rather slim, wether it is 2x256 or 2x512.

Good luck!
hepp

They are 5:4, and yes I am gathering the stuff to do a volt mod.

I'm being a little greedy I want to get to the nice round number 300fsb.

Thinking maybe different ram would do the trick.

Thanks,
Scott

With a voltmod and BH5 you should be able to do the same speed with better timings.

But I doubt if it is the ram that is limiting your o/c.
Since your board does not have an issue with dividers I think
that ram should allow you 300 5:4 3-4-4-8, did you try 3:2 to see if there is really any headroom to be exploited?

My o/c is not in the same league so I doubt if I can teach you anything. But I recently swapped PC4000 for BH5 despite being adviced that is would not really help me, and guess what, it didn't. I now have tighter timings but can't reach the same speed 5:4. Though I hear good things about voltmodded ASUS boards so it may be worth a try in your case.

Good luck!
hepp

ScottEslick said:
I am thinking about getting some ram with BH-5s, would I get better overclocking with 512mb(2x256) or 1 gb(2x512)?

TIA,
Scott

Your question only makes sense if you are using the machine primarily for the exercize of overcloking or if there is any additional use of the machine you really think it does not require more than 512MB.

Normally the question would be how much memory I need for a given application use, or may be what memory configuration would perform best...

Back