• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mushkin troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shortbus_

i have an ic7 and 2x512 mushkin lvl2.

i tested both stick in single channel to see how fast i could get them, and i managed to get each to 230mhz @ 2.8v 2-3-2-6...

then i put them both in for dual channel in slots 1 and 3. the highest i can run like this is 225mhz @ 2.8v 2.5-3-3-7...

whats wrong here? why do they run faster seperate then together? they can both reach the same speeds... i have gat set to a-a-a-d-d and it doesnt seem to work. am i missing something?

also, i am unable to run memtest because i lack a floppy. is there a way to do it from windows or a cd? are there other tests besides memtest that would yeild the same results without having to waste a cd/get a floppy?

3500. the voltage on this board is fustrating i may just order an ai7

edit: dan can u set your vdimm to 2.8 and see how high your ram will go @ 1:1 for me? if its anywhere near 225 ill just sell board :(

Last edited:
ok sounds good. i shouldnt have a problem getting 233mhz out of my ram with the ai7 @ 3.2volts. thanks.

i ran memtest and got over 100,000 errors. im in the process of testing which stick is at fault. could this be my problem?

shouldnt they be able to run stock speeds no problem?

i tested it again rotating dimm slots ect..

both the lowest i got was 58,000 esrros

1 stick got 7,000 and the other 20,000.

is this anything to worry about or should i return one or both?

ill try it again at 2-2-2-6... brb

at 2-2-2-6 i got 43,000 errors.

what is considered acceptible? and how accurate is this test?

also, if i were to return this to newegg. could i exchange it for a kit of 2x512 instead of just 2 stick of 512? i just got it on friday, so its within the 30 day satisfaction guarentue (sp?). if i were to exchange it would i be charged a restocking fee? or no since its not working properly at stock speeds?

my gat settings are a-a-a-d-d.

i think im going to send back my ai7 first then if theres still a prblem with teh ram at 3.2volts then ill get that replaced as well.

im pretty disappointed in this ram thus far. i didnt spend $300 to run 20mhz below stock speeds :mad:

i have an epox 8kha+ with my old amd rig. kind of hesitant to buy one for intel cause i havent heard much about them.

There is an interesting explantion as to why dual channel can not be o/c's as high in the TWINX 4000 FAQ on the Corsair forums.

I think this apply equally to slower memory and other brands.

If you want to run memtest and don't have a floppy you can burn a CD from this image
image, it also includes some other nice stuff that usually lives on floppies.

You should have no ( 0 ) errors in memtest before you bother running any other benchmarks. Even that does not guarantee that it will be stable in 3D and prime. Complete stability is usually a few MHz below where you are memtest clean.

The spec is 2-3-2-6 at DDR 433 1:1, that is only FSB 217, if that fails you can RMA. 2-2-2 should work at DDR400 and might work higher too but that is not guaranteed.

Don't believe they guarantee or test at 5:4 or 3:2 ratios.

Are you getting all these errors at 1:1 and stock speed?
With your FSB at 290 and 3:2 there could be a lot of other factors that affect memtest. CPU, chipset, heat e.t.c.
In which test(s) do you get errors?
Usually errors in e.g. test #4 are CPU related.

Dan,

In this thread oc ability of mushkin pc3500 black lvl II you said you were going to test 2-2-2-5 and 2-2-2-6 but in your PM to me you said that you settled for 2-3-2-6 because it allowed you better FSB (me too).
Did you find better stability at 2-2-2-6 than 2-2-2-5 in your testing, or did you just buy that argument?

I wrote to Mushkin to ask them why their site states that tRAS=tCL+tRCD+2 yet the spec for 3500 lvl 2 is 2-3-2-6.
I pointed out at that following their logic the spec should be 2-3-2-7. So if 2-3-2-6 is ok then 2-2-2-5 might be ok too.
They have, as yet, not replied.

Br
hepp

hepp said:

Dan,

In this thread oc ability of mushkin pc3500 black lvl II you said you were going to test 2-2-2-5 and 2-2-2-6 but in your PM to me you said that you settled for 2-3-2-6 because it allowed you better FSB (me too).
Did you find better stability at 2-2-2-6 than 2-2-2-5 in your testing, or did you just buy that argument?

I wrote to Mushkin to ask them why their site states that tRAS=tCL+tRCD+2 yet the spec for 3500 lvl 2 is 2-3-2-6.
I pointed out at that following their logic the spec should be 2-3-2-7. So if 2-3-2-6 is ok then 2-2-2-5 might be ok too.
They have, as yet, not replied.

Br
hepp

Check pm

GD

I picked up the level 2 black gig dual pack with an AI7, and kept getting IRQ and page fault errors trying to install XP. I sent back the AI7 and used the mushkins on a 8KNXP, I still had intermittent crashes. I ran memtest86 and found that one stick gave me 2 errors on the first pass on test 5, and another 5 errors on the second pass on test 5. I tried running the sticks separately and the stick with errors crashed my system every time. So if you're getting thousands of errors, that is not acceptable.

Back