• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver Ceramique dangerous for cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

If you apply Arctic Silver Ceramique to your cpu and heatsink watchout it don't rip off any of the cpu pins later on during heatsink removal.
The cpu in my machine was locked down by cpu socket lever, when I removed the heatsink the cpu was so stuck on by ceramique that it ripped it right out and was still on the heat sink. This stuff is like glue and creates a suction like bond. Im sure theres no easy to get the heatsink out without taking the cpu with with it.
The bottom line is that im lucky any of my pins weren't torn off the cpu.
I think I will stop using this partictur product even though its does a very good job.
What are you thoughts with ceramique?

You put to much on to start with i would say, And even if it does get stuck down and you really cant remove it, fully attatch the h/s again boot the pc for about 5 mins shut it down and then take the h/s off you should have no trouble :)

I don't use much of it, its very hard to get a even covering during install, very gummy, so im not suprised now that it sticks.
Thanks for the advice. Im usally in no hurry to get the heatsink off, so I don't have any heat there. I will use heat next time, I will run prime95 for awhile, that will do it.

mccoyn said:
If you twist the heat sink back and forth a few degrees it'll come out much easier.

I will give it a try, the spark7 doesn't have much room to move.

That happened to me as well when i switched out the ceramique for arctic silver 5. I didn't put that much on too and it still stuck on good to my waterblock. For now on it'll just use arctic silver 5 just for peace of mind.

DOHCrazy said:
Did you guys put it on according to Artic silvers website? I had been doing it wrong for more than 20 re-seats until i read it.

Yeah i did. Its a lot less tedious and saves a bunch of time!

I also notice that any descent TIM will only perform marginally better compared to the best there is! ie: from arctic cerimique to arctic silver 5. The difference in temps is really not worth it!

Back