• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey everyone, just bought 2 sticks of GeiL 256 mb ddr 400 mhz and I want ur opinion..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HexidecimaL`666

Hey everyone, just bought 2 sticks of GeiL 256 mb ddr 400 mhz and I want ur opinion..

Hey ! I'm new around here...as you can see :)

Anyway, lets get to buisness, I've just bought 2 sticks of GeiL 256 mb ddr 400 mhz (more details that I dunno what they mean : CAS 2.5 6-3-3 2T, 5ns, 2.5-2.8V, Aluminium Heat Spreader, 6 Layer PCB) and I want your opinion about it, are they good? I bought them with my new motherboard - an AsusP4P800.

btw, I'm not planning to OC, atleast not now, because i have no cash :) and to OC I need a new case (got a sucky generic case), thermal paste, a new power supply, some fans, etc... All togheter its like 200-300$ That i just dont have...

So, how's my new memory?

Well many people may not say much since the talk of the town around here is Corsair this and Mushkin that for memory.

How much did you pay?

I don't think you need a lot of money just to OC memory modules.

It depends on what you want to do with the RAM. You mentioned that you don't want to O/C & given that you might be fine.

Geil RAM may or may not run @ given specs AND you might have to bump the volts up to 2.8 - 2.9 to get it there. You can check the message boards at www.geilusa.com & you'll find there are quite a few discussions on this subject.

MY opinion of the RAM is that it's "okay" at best. It will most likely perform at it's rated specs if you can volt the poop out of it.

Personally I'll never stray away from Mushkins again.

I have two 256 MB sticks of Geil Golden Dragon rated at 400 Mhz @ 6-3-3-2 timings. I can overclock the RAMs to 215 FSB (430 Mhz) at 6-3-3-2 timings. HOWEVER, the RAMs that I have will not run in dual channel mode on NForce2 boards. I've test them on on Abit NF7 and Asus A7N8X boards and the RAM will fail memtest86 event at below specs FSB and timings. I'm not happy with them at the least bit.

Back