• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74c with zalman cnps7000a-cu during prime95?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattmolson

with tt volcano7 earlier this week i ran prime95 5.5 hours with 0 errors .using unlocked barton 2500 on asus a7n8x rev.2.running at 202x11x1.8 vcore.memory at 2.7v.after installing zalman with as5 today prime95 hits 74c diode,51c socket early into first test according to mbm5.mobo temp 26c. no errors but i shut it down at those temps.so disappointed now.maybe my antec 330 truepower psu is inadequate? 5v shows as 4.89 ,3.3 at3.20 or above.12v seems ok at 12.03.appreciate any input.
should have mentioned idle is at 40c socket and 48 diode and 26 mobo.

Last edited:
****e! i should have mentioned that when using tt volcano 7 early into prime95 diode temp hit 64c and i had my finger on the trigger to stop but then it dropped 14c quickly so i let it go.ran for 5.5 hours with 0 errors.

I have a very similar setup- same board,Zalman HS, different chip- 2600XP+ (200x11.5).

If you are using the Zalman speed control...lose it.
Plug directly into the board and use .SpeedFan to regulate your fan.
With this arrangement I get diode temps of 32c idle and 35-37c folding.
To be fair, I have also taken steps to introduce extra fresh air to the HS...
see here.

Last edited:
thanks clocker! took your advice about that speed control and removed it.i had no use for it anyway as i need this fan to run at it's max speed.removing it gained me a couple hundred rpm.not enough to help my temps though.i have an antec midtower case(660a i think) which puts the outer edge of the zalman about 3/8ths of an in. from the psu's lower fan.hope it's not sucking heat down fron there!
your case is really cool,looks and temps

mattmolson said:
thanks clocker! took your advice about that speed control and removed it.i had no use for it anyway as i need this fan to run at it's max speed.removing it gained me a couple hundred rpm.not enough to help my temps though.i have an antec midtower case(660a i think) which puts the outer edge of the zalman about 3/8ths of an in. from the psu's lower fan.hope it's not sucking heat down fron there!
your case is really cool,looks and temps

I think it's more likely that your PSU is getting the short end of the stick as it's hoovering up all the hot air from your Zalman HS.
Your HS will really respond to a big dose of outside air if there is a easy way to introduce it.
There is also a member who has modified his 7000cu with a different fan to good effect. That thread (with pics) is probably a few pages back, but worth searching for in your case.

I have tried a number of variations of fan/speed/airflow direction with my current HS.
IMO the Zalman looks better than it performs.

i've been tinkering with the case fan.2 in front,1 in side toward 9800pro,1 in back above vcard but below cpu slightly.removed front lower fan and side fan from the fan only fron "fan only" molex and connected to regular molex which increased their speed and dropped my case/mobo temps nicely from what they were.
it's my diode temps that worry me but i don't know if they at all accurate because i read em from mbm5 which reports my fan speeds at double what they really are.however mbm5 socket temps are pretty much bang on with what i find in asus probe.scratching my head here.lol

hey that may be the way to go for me.i had speedfan before but don't remember if it displays diode temps.i download it again and check it out.thanks clocker2!

ah jeez,using speed fan now. same temps,same doubled fan speed as mbm5.when diode hits 10c over socket i get a little flame warning icon.about every 25 sec. or so.got a super iochip=it8708f please report flag there.

Back