• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA Stuttering issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larethus

Greetings everyone :D

I picked up a 120gig Maxtor SATA drive the other day and I have found a really bizzare issue with it. While playing Neverwinter Nights it seems to constantly stutter as if it is always accessing data, making the game very annoying to play. Every other game I play runs fine. For those who are familiar with the game, I have both expansions installed and am running v1.61. At first I figured the problem may had been with the catalyst 3.10 drivers, so I rolled back to 3.7 - the problem was still there. I have done multiple fresh installs of windows, tried all the different versions of the SATA drivers I could find mentioned on this board. I have tried 1005 and 1007 uber bios. I have used multiple SATA cables and plugged the drive into either port. I also attempted fresh installations of the game. As a last resort I attempted running my entire system at stock speeds yet the problem still persists. Disconnecting my ATA133 drive completly didn't help either. I have ran HDTach on this drive and it gets a random access time between 12-13ms, which seems on par with most reviews of the drive. My ATA133 drive gets 11.2ms religiously though. :rolleyes:

When I run the game from my 80gig Maxtor ATA133 2mb cache drive, everything is perfectly smooth, no stuttering. Naturally I would just run the game from that drive but I'm putting it in the xbox tomorrow. To replace it I am going to pick up another 120gig sata maxtor and run in RAID 0.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be excellent. Thanks in advance.

Back