• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i install windows onto my sata drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

i just got a sata drive and i cant seem to get windows installed onto it. when i run the windows 2000 cd the only drive listed it the available drives it my C:160G drive. why is my sata drive not listed?

also my device manager says that the sata drive is an scsi disk device. is that normal?

I'm assuming its a similar procedure for 2000 as it is with XP. When you boot off the CD, it asks for a driver disk if you need it. Put the disk in, and you should be able to select it as a drive to install Windows on. I hope its the same with 2000. Good luck.

i did that but it buggered up. im not sure what to do. i went ahead and install wndows onto the 160G C drive but i dont want it there. i should get more performance if my OS is on the sata drive. maybe ill try it again.
thanks

dammit!!!! it didnt work. how in the hell r u suppost to do this. when i run the windows cd it looks for a previous windows OS and wants to either put a fresh copy in the same location or fix a damaged copy. what am i doing wrong here??? there go to be a way i can us my sata as master bootable and ide as slave storage isnt there????

Al, I guessing a little here because I have XP. But as t_biggs said, it should be similar. I know when installing XP, right after the system boots off of your Windows cd at the bottom of the screen it should prompt you to press F6 to install any third party drivers, or something like that. You have to be quick, because it doesn't stay there long. After pressing F6, windows will continue to load. After windows is finished loading it will prompt you to insert your floppy with the drivers and follow the on screen prompts. That should do it. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

i tried a **** load of times but i thought it was just not leting me install the driver. im probably not hitting F6 fast enough so ill keep doing it until i get it.
thanks

got it. thanks T-Biggs and Ducker!!! i wasnt hitting F6 fast enough hehe :)

Back