• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD sequences for that represent unlocked or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Is it possible to determine before you buy the chip if the chips is unlocked or not? That is can you ask the seller, like NewEgg for example, if they have the alphanumeric sequence from the chip so that I don't buy a locked chip??

I don't know what this sequence is called, but I have read alot about them.

Its called the stepping code and good luck getting a retailer to read one to you...

if you were to look at my sig

DLT3C JIUHB 0333UPMW

Notice 0333

The first 03 represents the year and the following 33 represents the week.

the numbers and letters you are refering to are the stepping and the date the cpu was made, what model it is and what voltage it will support. Now with retail cpu's it's a crapshoot as the cpu is hidden behind the packaging and can't be seen. However oem cpu's are a diffrent story, and some retailers will let you hand pick the stepping you want but they are few and far between. A good place to go to get gaurunteed steppings on cpus is http://www.excaliberpc.com/ I have dealt with them numerous times and always came away happy.

12am said:
the numbers and letters you are refering to are the stepping and the date the cpu was made, what model it is and what voltage it will support. Now with retail cpu's it's a crapshoot as the cpu is hidden behind the packaging and can't be seen. However oem cpu's are a diffrent story, and some retailers will let you hand pick the stepping you want but they are few and far between. A good place to go to get gaurunteed steppings on cpus is http://www.excaliberpc.com/ I have dealt with them numerous times and always came away happy.

just curious where you get your info. ive been able to see and read all the date/stepping info on all the retail XP's before buying them and opening them up. the cpu faces the backside of the packaging and is clearly visible.

Well when I bought my retail 2100+ the pins were facing the backside of the package so I couldn't read squat, I was basing my info on that.

Back