• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with a Sonata

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlepri

Just started to buy components for my first build PC and was getting cold feet about buying the Antec Sonata Case. I plan to overclock my 2500+ to 3200+ (if possible) using Corsair XMS 3200 and ABIT NF7-S R2. CPU cooling with a ThermalTake Silent Boost.

I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this case as far as overclocking/heat dissipation goes and should a consider adding a second fan to the air intake side.

First I would recommend the SP-97 HS for your rig.Its the best air cooling HS available at this time. www.heatsinkfactory.com
If I remember correct,you can put a 120mm fan in the front of that case.I would do it.Heres a link on some things you might want to do before you do your build! Also a link to a fan for the front intake. THE FANMAN:cool:

MOD LINK

FAN LINK

SP-97 REVIEW LINK

Last edited:
I would get something else if I were you...I finally got lucky and sold mine...Very poor cooling even with 2 Enermax adjustable fans, adjusted to match my heat sink...Pulls a bunch of air through your drives filling them with dust...You can tape the drives...tape over the "Antec" holes on the door and other side...Helps...But there are much better choices...The SLK3700 is much better...Front fan location on the Sonata is awful...Just my humble opinion...;)

I agree the antec slk-3700 has a better front fan location(the front fan actually pulls air from the outside, the sonata tends to recirculate alot of the air inside the case because it is located so far from the front of the case). If you want dual 120mm fans I say the slk-3700 or the Compucase LX-6A19 that it is based on are your better bets.

Well, i put my sister's com inside a Sonata and it's running great ATM. She's got a Intel 2.0GHz proc (400MHz bus) on a Asus P4B533 mobo. I put the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu on the CPU and now it's currently stress testing at 2.5GHz (125fsb). It survived 6hrs at 2.4GHz so trying 2.5GHz now. It's virtually silent cuz I can hardly hear it when the side is closed and when the side is open, the only sound is of the air rushing through holes. MBM 5 reports that the CPU temps is at 38 degrees C at full load for 3 hrs (max temp out of the 3hrs). I know the MBM temps are most probobly wrong, but still, at worst case scenario, it's only off by about 10 degrees (from own experiance) and im hardly feeling any heat comming off the zalman at all.

Also, Hookem, there SHOULDNT be much dust inside the case because there's a dust filter in the Sonata at the front. Did u actually install it at all?

IMO, the location of the front fan mount is OK, as it helps cool your VGA card. It pulls fresh air in through the front and blows directly on the graphics card and it increases the effectiveness of Ramsinks alot (passive to active cooling).

But i think you people are forgetting something. The Sonata is for people who want a silent PC, not people who want the best cooling (one of the reasons why i chose the Zalman heatsink over the others).

The reasons why i chose this case over the others is:

1. Availability issues here in HK

2. Dual 120mm fans

3. Dust filter

4. Inclusion of a very nice PSU

5. Amazing finish

6. Silence

I have the Sonata and it is fine. I added a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan for some extra air movement, and its great.

Here are the temps for a 21C ambient....
50 cpu and 36 case (from MBM5)

No complaints. XP2400 at 2407 mhz, 1.85v. 8rda+ mb.

What I appreciated, how convenient it is to water cool. Current setup; BIX/Maze3/Maxijet pump/res. BIX bolts straight to front fan mount so simple upgrade.

And room to further upgrade to a BIX2- cool. Or could locate a heater core in drive bay area. What I like, with this case lots of options.

Gotta love those 120 fan mounts. And looking good just part of the bargain. :cool: Full towers you can have em, LOL.

i personally love the SOHO file server from antec. its just so sexy and nice. lol...my door broke off within a few weeks and i have a problem getting cd-rom's out of it, but i still love it, its roomy and nice. the drive cages are nice.

Back