• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volt mod case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kikkler

Registered
is there any way to somehow volt-mod a case fan and make it rotate faster (as oppose to 7-volt mod which will make it rotate slower) ?

Yes there is, however you may need a powerful PSU and a fan that can handle being over-volted. This is done the same way the 7-volt mod is done:

For 17 volts, use the white wire from the PSU as the fans ground. The white wire is the -5 volt Rail: (12) - (-5) = 17

For 24 volts, use the blue wire from the PSU as the fans ground. The blue wire is the -12 volt Rail: (12) - (-12) = 24

For 15 volts, use the orange wire for supply voltage and the blue wire from the PSU as the fans ground. The orange wire is the 3.3v Rail and The blue wire is the -12 volt Rail: (3.3) - (-12) = 15.3

Most powersupplys only support a low amperage on the negative voltage rails as well as the 3.3volt rail, and it is probably not enough to power your fans safely. Also, it is not safe to run fans over their spec. voltage. You will lessen their reliability and shorten their lifespan.

One thing that I to to all of my fans to make them spin a bit faster and a bit quieter is put a drop of Protec Gunoil on the bearings. This can easily be done by peeling up the sticker on the back of the fan and placing a drop of the AFMT (Anti-Friction Metal Treatment) oil on the bearing. Then I replace the sticker and run the fan upside down to work the oil into the bearing. The protec lubricants are amazing: http://www.proteclubricants.com.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips808/

I used this to overvolt mine to 17 volts. it gives a table at the end so you dont have to read the long speel as this gentlemen is clearly not an essay writer :p

for my fan over volting, i simply used molex positive and atx negative. for 7 volts, just use the 5 volt molex positive. but yea, this is a great one to bookmark.

Back