• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mumrah

I'm experiencing random reboots after Windows XP is running for about an hour. Previously i was recieving a blue screen of death reading "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error, but now, just the reboots.

Here is my computer:
MSI K7D Master
Barton XP 2500+ o/ced and modded to MP 2600+ (previously 2800+ but i lowered it in case that was the problem)
Volcano 10 heatsink
Antec True Power 420W PSU
2 Crucial 512mb PC2100 registered ddr ram
two old 30gb hdds (WD and IBM)
Geforce4 Ti4200 64mb
Audigy 2
Linksys 10/100 ethernet card
Adaptec SATA card (in anticipation of my raptors)
lite-on cd-rw
generic dvd-rom

My cpu temp is staying around 55 or 56C, case temp at 31C

My rails: +5V 4.94v, +3.3V 3.24v, +12V 12.00v, -12V -11.80v, +2.5V 2.49v, -5V -5.14v

any ideas?

-David

I'd be looking for a better cooling solution, or moving to a cooler spot in the house. Does this happen when you run cpu speed and vcore at the default? You can tolerate more heat if you don't overclock.

Hoot

my vcore is at 1.64 i think (i'm at work now) how much should i raise it?

...until you can pass Prime95 Torture Test for at least 12 hours (preferably more) without the program displaying any errors.

Are you sure you tested your overclocked system for stability, since simply booting into Windows is not an indication of a stable overclock...

There are other tests like 3DMark to test yor video card stability when you overclock.

i used the Sandra burn in wizard for like 20 cycles, and the system has been overclocked for months now and is just now being wierd.

well your PSU dosent seem to be the issue, but try scanning for bad sectors on your hard drive and roll back the driver on your video card to see if that helps any.

Holey moley! You're at 55-56C and only running 1.65Vcore. Definitely time to remove the heatsink, clean off any TIM, perhaps lap it a little, reapply a quality TIM like Arctic Silver and remount it. Getting that core temp down will do wonders for your stability and allow you to raise the Vcore as needed for stability, without experiencing even higher temperaturers.

Hoot

ok, my core temp is down to 49C at 1.64v.. time to up the vcore?

mumrah said:
ok, my core temp is down to 49C at 1.64v.. time to up the vcore?

Is that after you put on some AS3? (Did you change anything or just wait?) I would get your temps lower before you go raising the vcore...

yea, that's after AS3. my watercooling stuff is in the mail, so i should be able to get the core temp down a good bit.

Be patient and wait for the WC stuff. No point in getting hurt this close to the finish line.

Hoot

Back