• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with 2800+ oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bythegods

Registered
hi guys,
i've been visiting this forum for around 2-3 months. and it really helps me in lots of things. so thx to you all :p

k, i have a 2800+ with this steppings: AQXCA 0308MPM. its an unlocked oneand from the amd faq thread i see that it has a score of 6 for overclocking.
here's my system specs:
a7n8x deluxe rev 2.0 (i was going to get abit nf7s but somehow it wont work (do not POST) on my comp, the store also give up so i get a7n8x deluxe instead)
2x512mb mushkin lvl2 black pc 3500 (winbond bh-5). got it from ebay for $270 :p.
hercules 9800 pro with stock cooling (goin water as soon as i solve my fsb prob)
antec truepower 550 (it might be overkill, but i cant get the 480/430 version here, so had to shell out 25 euro more)

cooling: watercooling with d-tek whitewater, eheim 1250, heatercore from old mazda.
and i use 3 120mm fans (enermax on 63 cfm). 2 on the radiator for push and pull, and 1 on top blowing hot air out. and 1 tt sf2 on window cooling my 9800pro (for now)
temp: idle @Default diode:27-29, socket:28-30, case: 22-24
load : diode:29-31, socket: 30-33, case: 24-26

and i use uberbios 1007 from nforcershq.

so my prob is i cant seem to get past 207 fsb with my 2800+ (i use 7.5 and 6.5 multiplier for testing). i can get to 200 fsb with only 1.700 vcore, dimm and chipset @Default. but on 207 i had to use 1.750 vcore and i set my vdimm @ 2.9 (the highest possible on bios, i believe i can run it on 2.6-2.7 stable) and default chipset volt. oh my ram timing is 6-2-2-2

then i can boot up up to 209 fsb and run 3dmark2001 ok, but as soon as i start prime95 it fails within 15 mins. i tried to max the vcore, vdimm, chipset on the bios, but it changes nothing. still cant run prime95 stable. vcore: 1.850, vdimm: 2.9, chipset: 1.9.
so i thought i tried to change the ram timing up to 11-2-2-2, but not working, even tried 11-3-3-2.5/3 . still doesnt work.

so i tried to up the multiplier to see how far it can go. i can run it @205x12=2460mhz prime stable, and i play lots of games with it with no probs. well, i havent tried 12.5 cause i actually aim for this speed but with higher fsb, lower multi.

so what do you guys think holding back my overclocked??. the only thing i can come up with is my cpu, since it has a score of 6 on the amd faq. any advice, suggestions will be welcome. thx in advance. i'm burning in my cpu atm @Default speed with 1.850 vcore with prime95 (been on for around 24 hours)

oh, 1 more thing if my cpu really holds me back, i'm thinking about getting a new one (2500+) and give this one to my bro cause he never overclocks :p (nice christmas give huh). but now amd locked their proc, so i want to ask if the newer barton (locked ones) stepping is good for achieving higher fsb or not? and in a local store (tweaking store) they have 2800+ with AQXEA 0325RPIW steppings guaranteed for 159 euro which is around 15% more expensive than the locked version(newer ones) and no warranty (oem version). but the stepping is a great one right??
so, should i buy those 2800+ AQXEA (unlocked) for 159 or get a new locked barton 2500+ for ~90 euro (box version).

ok thats all sorry for the long post guys, and thx in advance

Have you tried putting you ram in different slot combinations? On my setup if I put my sticks in 1 and 3 Dual Channel, I can't get stable above 205, but in 2 and 3 they are good up above 220.

Hoot

yea i tried that already.
i'm currently running it in slot 2+3 on dual channel. if i used 1+3 it fails running 3dmark2001 over 205 fsb. with 2+3 it runs 3dmark fine up to 209, just not prime95

o and i also runs sisoft sandra 2004 memory benchmarking and the burn in wizard with no problems up to 209 and also memtest

Last edited:
if you change the multi on the cpu and the ram timings and all that , but you still cant get past a certain FSB, then the culprit is probably your motherboard, the NB chip probably could use some better cooling.

my 2 cents

rezon8

yea, thats what i thought, bad motherboard.
how do you solve the prob then?? just by better cooling for the northbridge? i'm currently using zalman nb 47 heatsink for northbridge, i might using water as soon as i got the money for it :p .

so if get a fan to blow to the northbridge, i will be able toraise the fsb again?? whats the safe voltage for the chipset? i can change it up to 1.9.
and can it possibly the cpu or not??

looks like i got lots of questions now.

Back