• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore cant go above 1.925 on 8RDA+!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R.Rabbit

sure this isnt exactly a horrible problem but right now im getting the best temps i've ever gotten but my vcore is holding me back! its a rev. 2.1, woith the newest bios.
at 1.925 it works fine, but once i notch it up to 1.95 it just wont boot and posts the FF code wich means windows has booted/dead mobo, but a simple cmos reset and its all good again.
any ideas?

I got the same problem. I cant boot beyond 1.9 with the 8rda+ rev 2.1.

Last edited:
I got the same problem. I cant boot beyond 1.9 with the 8rda+ rev 2.1.

looks like a pretty simple mod...
but... in your face, that's what you get for buying the latest 2.1version of the board :p (jk)
Filip

my 8rda+ rev 2.1 died after i set the Vcore to 1.9v =( ....... still waiting for te replacement

Guys, Epox put an overvoltage limiter in the Rev. 1.1 boards, hard to say when, but after 4-25-03 or so. The batch date is on the outside of the box; the date above would read -030425xxx.

The board to get is one made from 1-03 to the date above. These will have the Crush 18D chipset to guarantee 200+ fsb and no overvolt limiter. I have a 4-23 board I got a year ago and I can boot >1.925 no problem. I got a Rev. 2.0 and could not boot over that. Morever, it undervolted the voltages and could not overclock higher than my good 1.1 board, even with the adjustable VDD. The 1.1 overvolts VCORE by .02-03. I got rid of the Rev. 2.0.

Further proof? I am in Japan and there are lots of used boards here. I just picked up a 'used' 8RDA+, 1.1 dated 4-25-03, just two weeks older than my first board. Sure enough, can boot at 1.95, overvolts VCORE, and have no trouble running 214-217 fsb in DC. The board in fact looks new and is probably unsold stock.

NO doubt the Rev. 2.1+ boards all have the overvolt protection. I hear on the later revs. you cannot disable it by cutting a trace either.

Now the boards made before 1-03 won't have the overvolt limiter, but they won't have the revised 18D chipset that guarantees 200+ fsb. That's why guys who bought the very first boards had a hard time breaking the 200 fsb barrier.

Is 1.9v possible with out a mod on the 2.x boards?

mines still in the box.... :(

gonna install this week. (3/14/04)

thanks.
:cool:

Is 1.9v possible with out a mod on the 2.x boards?

It is highly unlikely, as even the later Rev. 1.1 8RDA+ have the limiter. If my Rev. 2.0 had it, you can believe the 2.1 and 2.2 do.

I rarely go over 1.90 anyway, due to the heat as I'm on air. Most of my XP1700+s hit my target of 2400+ at 1.9 or below anyway. So far I've tried three of them and the worse needs 1.90 or so.

Just curious, with all these boards running at >1.9V, what CPU's are you using and what speeds are you guys achieving?

I'm running a Rev 1.1 8RDA+ -030327 at a conservative 1.725Vcore, 2415MHz right now.

I assume, from what Clevor talked about, my board doesn't have the overvolt protection; so how high of voltage is safe really? I like this board and don't want to toast it.

I haven't gone higher than 1.85v, but i was thinking of trying again to see what i could achieve.

Sooo... yes it can go 1.9v without a mod?

Dangerous ground.... I'll assume that's correct by your statement.
:cool:

Thanks.
I'll post what I get outta it.

Junglebizz, easy. Just set 1.95 and see if you can post. You don't have to run there long. If you can boot clear into Windows the board is OK. Your date looks OK. The problem occurs around 1.925 and over.

Generally, to push 2500 you may need more than 1.9 volts.

Well, i gave it another run, and i got some mixed results. It seems my system is stable at no more than 220 fsb @2.63vdimm. I wasn't able to get anything else out of my RAM ( i tried for 222 at 2.9v and it wasn't stable)

I was able to get 11x220 (2420 MHz) stable, but no higher, not even at 1.9vcore. The system would crash everytime i ran prime95.

I also was able to get 11.5x215 for 2473 MHz stable. I know this is a little faster, but would the extra speed on the fsb be a better thing to have instead, or not?

I've got the exact same problem as R. Rabbit originally posted.

As soon as ya change it in the BIOS to 1.92v - no boot
reset CMOS & back to normal.

It's strange- the BIOS, when ya set a voltage, it fluctuates.

not a steady voltage.

I moved up from an Asus A7V333 ver 2 mobo & had the Vcore @ 1.92 with the overvolt trick.
(on board jumper set & set BIOS to 1.6v = 1.92 @ cpu)

... back to reading more posts on this.

really sounds like a BIOS glitch

I think I can understand why Epox did this. I set my board to 1.90 BIOS last night and in Hardware Monitor, it was reading 1.92-1.93 - Whoa! These early boards overvolt VCORE big time, although the VDIMM undervolted, reading 2.84 when set to max 2.9. So I can't get my 2-512 MB XMS3500 much over 216, 2-2-2-5 Memtest clean in DC.

Clevor, there's no vdimm sensor in 8rda's.
The only way you can check your real vdimm is with a multimeter.

Suma.

Are you sure? I got five rigs so maybe I'm mistaken, but I install the Epox Magic Utility and it is the Winbond Hardware Monitor. Granted, you can't take it for face value, but it will show VCORE, VDIMM, and VDD. It doesn't corroborate exactly with the BIOS readings but from my experience with the P4 boards, I think it's a tad closer to a multimeter.

Back