• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k6-2 500 and windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

Think this socket 7 cpu with an asus mobo with onboard video and 128mb ram will run xp well enough?

i isntalled xp pro the other night on a computer w/ 64 megs, a pentium1... 75MHZ. but yeah, it loads windwos fine (and as fast as my k6-2 500 laods 98SE) i wouldnt trust putting any programs on it...i'm doubtful that my page file isnt in use already just loading up windows. put a little more ram in there to be safe, i'd say. (and keep it clean of spyware and whatnot)

It will run fine. I had Windows XP on a P2 300 with 96mb of ram (bare minimum recommened i believe) and it ran flawlessly (actually it ran more resposive on that system then it does my current one). Just tone down the graphical features and you'll be fine

I can say this though, I dont know how I did it in those days. These days, with all the programs I have running at all times, I use up at least 300mb of ram, heh.

Running linux on my comp only used like 70mb of ram when I booted up, but windows xp used about 170mb.

i have an amd k6-233 running 128MB ram, with xp and if you just turn off the eyecandy and treat it kindly, it will be just fine, at least my box is. i cant game with it, but PS and Premiere work, just really slow, but not one crash....

rezon8

it'll work fine, run as much memory as you can, turn off all the extras as mentioned on here already if you wanna help it out some.

ive run XP on an HP P2-266 laptop with 96mb memory. slow, granted, but turning off the extras helped it alot. i just wanted to see if it would work, and it did.

WOW! A 75 with XP? Really? I guess its more the ram then the cpu then. Thanks guys, I had had a PII266 running xp, but i didn't know about the old AMDs. I seem to recall that my Pentium 180 ran circles around my grrandma's K6-2 300. No joke. So I wasn't sure. Thanks again! I may go for more ram, just cause it is cheap.

My XP uses only about 140mb when booted, and that's with statbar, MBM5, Nortron Firewall, and Norton AV.

If I were you I'd go for Win2000, and then just trim it down a little. Check the services guide here:
www.blackviper.com

I have installed WInXP Pro on a COmpaq presario k6-2 500mhz (undeclocked to 495mhz cause of compaq) with 256mgb and 15gb HDD....

Runs fine even wid a Voodoo3 PCI......(Knock on wood)

I have found that pretty much any version of windows will run on a system that has about 2/3 of what the stated minimum is. May not run great and it may take a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time to start apps but they will run.

Not necessarily an enjoyable experience, and you must have patience (leaves me out!) but for general use you should be ok.

To make things...less bad tweak the daylights out of the system and turn off everything that is not essential- eye candy, unused services, etc.
And the cheapest way to boost performance will be more ram.

- My sister has a k6-2 450 with 384 mb of slow sdram that runs on XP: about 4 or 5 minute boot time, and 30 seconds or more to start just about any program, but it runs and is stable.

Back