• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SP-97 Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZachM

Does anyone have a Thermalright SP-97 heatsink? If so what do you think of it? I was considering buying one to use with a NF7-S and a 2100 JIUHB so I can get a good overclock. I'm planning on putting the Smart Fan 2 off my current Volcano 11 on it. Do you think that fan will have enough flow at medium speeds to cool well? I'm ok with it going at around 3800 RPMs. It probably puts out 50 CFM or so at that speed.

Thanks

I don't have the SP97, but I have tested the SP94 at length with a variety of fans, and the results should be valid for the 97 as well due to the essentially identical construction of the two sinks.

I've tested around 15 fans on my SP-94 and I like 92mm fans better on it. 80mm fans can cool well, but have to spin faster and end up being slightly noisier. 3800rpm on an 80mm fan will get the job done for my P4, but I can get by with a 92mm fan spinning only 2500rpm. This ends up being quieter in practice.

The best fan I have found overall for the SP-94 is the NMB 92mm fan you buy from directron for a whole dollar. They come with grills most of the time, an additional 20 cents makes sure. I bought 10 back when they were only 39 cents +20 cents for the grill. At full speed they run about 2800rpm and put out 50.8cfm. I slow mine down to 2500rpm for even quieter operaton. They have the tach sensor output, you merely peel up the nmb sticker, solder a third wire to the blank spot on the PCB, and put a 3 pin connector on it. There's no problem running these off the motherboard.

http://www.directron.com/9cm.html

I just installed a SP-97 with a 92mm Panaflo M1A Fan (BX) w/ RPM Sensor on a 2500+ (stock speed).

Before
Idle: 25 Diode 16 Case
Load: 40 Diode 16 Case

After
Idle: 20 Diode 16 Case
Load: 30 Diode 16 Case

Back