• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peter19

Registered
Hello,

I have just started to overclocking over the last few weeks and have some questions about it. I know you can fry your motherboard by pushing the Processor too far. But can you fry or damage your memory or graphics card by overclocking. Can overclocking those things hurt the motherboard? Sry for the stupid question but i'm kinda new too this.

Memory- Apacer 333mhz
Graphics Card- Evga GeForce FX5200 Ultra

any help would be nice

thank you

A Graphics card has a GPU, and if you push it too far without sufficient cooling then it will overheat just like a CPU would. As for memory, I dont think heat will do it any good, and memory errors can cause weird problems.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums btw :D

Generally you fry components when it gets too hot and that usually happens when you don't have sufficient cooling and/or you're giving the components too much voltage.

Yeah, the same stuff applies to your memory and video card as it does to your CPU. As long as you're careful, and don't TRY to screw stuff up, you should be fine. I've never fried anything, I'm proud to say, and I've been doing this for like 2 years now. Haven't even cracked a core...

I doubt you'll fry the motherboard...if something does actually die it's usually your RAM, CPU, or video card before the actual motherboard...as long as you're not volt modding anything.

As long as you're cautious everything will be fine. :)

ways to kill mobo:
- overvolt
- overheat
- water over it

ways to kill CPU:
- overheat
- overvolt
- water over it

ways to kill GFX:
- overvolt
- overheat
- wrong AGP/PCI speeds (fix these at 66/33)

im sure there are other ways to kill these thigns, but these are the ones that came into my mind lol :D

good luck!

Back