• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7, to S or not to S?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Well looking at newegg the -S rev 2 is 21 bux more than the straight NF7. I know that the -S is supposed to be much better but, if im on a capped budget, is the 20 bux better spend on a faster CPU/ram or on the better mobo in this case. I am getting money for x-mas and am trying to decide which version of the board to go with. Remember this isnt 20 bux of spare change, its 20 bux that would be spent on making another part faster.

Well it really just depends on what features you are looking for. The NF7 is a great board, it just lacks some of the features of the -S version. If you don't need those features then by all means put that cash towards something else in your rig.

well since i have a western digital 120 gig with 8 meg chache i dont plan on upgrading harddrives any time soon so i proibly will go for the NF7, im just worried about closing the option for the future, ill probly save the cash now and if i really want to go SATA i can get a card. Thanks for the advice, i was unsure whether the S actually added performance or just added features.

Yeah, the S just adds features - SoundStorm and SATA. If you don't have the cash now and aren't looking at a hard drive upgrade (and don't need a sound card) then the NF7 is definitely a good call.

sweet, i am perfectly hapy with my SB Live 5.1, but just for giggles. how much better (if any) does sound storm sound? I already know that it uses minimal resources. Remember this will be playing through logitech Z-640s not klipch. I listen to alot of music so if it was a substantial improvement i may go for the soundstorm.

I heard a noticeable improvement in my crap speakers going from a Sound Blaster Live to SoundStorm... But I'm no audiophile, so what do I know?

I would go for the S, you get the GOOD sounding soundstorm (not audiophile good but good none the less), SATA (raid) and it's not much more. Also more people have experience with it (even though they ARE ALMOST identicle...).

And AmpCoder:
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Feel Free to Introduce Yourself:D

the more people give me money BEFORE christmas gets here, and the more i would like to have a half decent sound card to maybe patch togather an MP3 box for the home sterio system, i like this idea. I already have 70 bux of x-mas money and expect to get a load tomorrow from parents. This should be good, thanks for the advice

I just got a Nf7-s 2.0 from newegg and it is a very sweet board I must say, running my 1700+ @ 228X11 with hyperx pc3500 and 1.7 vcore, I am not using the Sata either but wanted the option for the future:)

Either way you go with this, you will be very happy with it. The NF7 series of boards is spectacular. And for $30 less than the NF7-S, the NF7 is a steal just to lose Firewire, SATA, and Soundstorm.

Back