• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me the good news... 1800 came in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I got an 1800+ from newegg tonight :D . Codes are...AXDA1800DUT3C Z2392952711687
JIXIB 03395SPMW

How are these overclocking these days? I ran a search and found nothing. Maybe the search engine is down?

News ain't great I'm afraid - it is a DUT3C chip - meaning that the Vcore stocks at 1.6V (as opposed to the 1.5V the great overclocking DLT3C chips stock at) - which basically means that the chip won't overclock that well. Maybe 2200 Mhz with a *lot* of voltage and cooling?

Sorry :(

Which newegg shipping warehouse did it come from?

Whoa, now. People are too quickly dismissive of the DUT3C's. Anyone remember the days before the DLT3C? They weren't too bad... :p. They fell about 150 mHz below DLT3C's, so 2.3 with 1.85v or so shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Good luck.

Guatam - I guess my "2200 Mhz" guess ain't accurate, and is was overly pessimistic :p ;)

We're all way too spoilt these days, what with 2500 MHz being the wall everyone is leaning against... our standards suck :p ;)

seeing its a JIXIB

My thoughts exactly. Since when did voltages become so important. I mean, it's all about the stepping code first and then the voltages. There are plenty of DLT3C's out there that are tbred A's and they don't OC well at all.

Please keep us informed about how well it does.

Since when did voltages become so important

Since always! If the processor is rated at a higher stock Vcore it simply means that the processor needs more voltage to run at *any* given speed, stock speed, overclocked speeds, etc.

Seeing as how voltage = heat, and heat = instability (which you don't want), you want to use as little Vcore voltage as possible.

A JIXIB DUT3C might hit 2200 MHz totally stable with a 1.7 Vcore, but, for example only; my JIXIB DLT3C can run 2200 MHz totally stable with a 1.45 Vcore.

The cooler the processor is, the more headroom for a faster speed there is. Simply put, at a certain point the processor will be too hot to maintain a stable overclock. So, low voltage requirement = less heat. Less heat = more overclocking headroom. More headroom means a much higher end overclock.

Stepping is *completely* irrelevant, only production weeks, and processor types ( the T-Bred "A being a type, the T-Bred "B" being a type) can be relied on for a reliable determination of processor overclockability.

Well boys Im no n00b at overclocking, so I'll see what I can pull out of my hat. ;) Ive got my trusty ax-7 and my motherboard that will do 2.0 at the vcore. :D

Stepping is *completely* irrelevant

Come on now, completely irrelevant. Try and take a JIUCB DLT3C and compare that to the JIXIB DLT3C or JIXIB DUT3C to see how they overclock. If you have the same stepping, of course the lower voltage chip will do better for the reasons you stated. However, having a crap stepping and the DLT3C means nothing. I know that voltage rating has always been important in picking chips, but IMHO not more important than the stepping itself.

Now I am thinking about how Im going to do this. Should I just crank my voltage to 1.9, drop the multi to 10.5, and put the fsb at 200 and hope it works? That's 2100 mhz... I think it should, and Duner steppings really do matter. Trust me on this, because I always get the crappy steppings, and never to the good ones, and my overclocks are never anything to brag about. :)

JIXIB is a great stepping, yes it being DUT3C might lower the max potential clock, but these chips like voltage, I think that you're being a bit too pessimistic here. I won't be surprised if it hits 2.3 with relative ease.
I got a crappy JIUCB DUT3C and its doing 2100MHz @ 1.9v, your chip will do a lot better.

not all chips were locked. there was always still some hope when you got sub week 43 chips

Duner said:

Come on now, completely irrelevant. Try and take a JIUCB DLT3C and compare that to the JIXIB DLT3C or JIXIB DUT3C to see how they overclock. If you have the same stepping, of course the lower voltage chip will do better for the reasons you stated. However, having a crap stepping and the DLT3C means nothing. I know that voltage rating has always been important in picking chips, but IMHO not more important than the stepping itself.

I stand by what I said - within each "type" of processor (the T-Bred "A" DLT3C being a type, the T-Bred "B" DLT3C being a type, the T-Bred "B" DUT3C being a type, etc.) stepping is completely irrelevant in determining overclockability.

Give me a JIUCB DLT3C, and a JIXIB DLT3C of the same weeks, and let me stick em' in my rig. using the same hardware with each chip, the two processor's overclock/Vcore ratios will be almost identical, if not identical.

The JIXIB, JIUHB, JIUCB, NIUHB, KIUHB, and JIXHB Thoroughbred "B" DLT3C processors (of the same weeks) all perform roughly the same - and any differences are not stepping dependant, but hardware dependant. If you have a bung powersupply you ain't going to get good results.

The myth that "some steppings are good" has been bred from some individual's good results - vice versa with "bad steppings". Many, many factors contribute to an overclock; willingness to overvolt, hardware, cooling, etc. - this breeds discrepency. Many don't want to feed their chip too much voltage, and won't ever reach a certain overclock because of that for instance.

I guess it could be said that I belong to one school of thought, with "stepping matters" being the other school of thought. I believe this simply because it is what my experience, and the results I read here on the forums, and elsewhere, have lead me to believe - I am not preaching truth - only my (educated) opinion.

EDIT: more directly speaking, a DLT3C T-Bred "B" will overclock better than a DUT3C T-Bred "B" (with the same hardware), unless their is a fault with the processor. A DLT3C simply needs less voltage, and has more headroom.

felinusz said:

I stand by what I said - within each "type" of processor (the T-Bred "A" DLT3C being a type, the T-Bred "B" DLT3C being a type, the T-Bred "B" DUT3C being a type, etc.) stepping is completely irrelevant in determining overclockability.

Give me a JIUCB DLT3C, and a JIXIB DLT3C of the same weeks, and let me stick em' in my rig. using the same hardware with each chip, the two processor's overclock/Vcore ratios will be almost identical, if not identical.

The JIXIB, JIUHB, JIUCB, NIUHB, KIUHB, and JIXHB Thoroughbred "B" DLT3C processors (of the same weeks) all perform roughly the same - and any differences are not stepping dependant, but hardware dependant. If you have a bung powersupply you ain't going to get good results.

The myth that "some steppings are good" has been bred from some individual's good results - vice versa with "bad steppings". Many, many factors contribute to an overclock; willingness to overvolt, hardware, cooling, etc. - this breeds discrepency. Many don't want to feed their chip too much voltage, and won't ever reach a certain overclock because of that for instance.

I guess it could be said that I belong to one school of thought, with "stepping matters" being the other school of thought. I believe this simply because it is what my experience, and the results I read here on the forums, and elsewhere, have lead me to believe - I am not preaching truth - only my (educated) opinion.

You are mistaken my friend. I too have had both a JIUCB and a JIUHB of the DUT3C variety, and I've seen JIXIB and JIUHB's of DLT3C. The latter usually tend to do better. The first JIXHB's blew the JIUHB's out of the water, reaching an unheard of 2.7ghz on air. All of the factors you mentioned are very important, but stepping cannot be disregarded. Tracking which ones are better though, is a very different story.

2700 MHz on air?

My current overclock is 2638 fully 24 hour Prime, and 24 hour 3DMark stable with water - does anyone have "proof" screenshots of a *stable* 2.7 on air? Heck - I can post 2850 MHz+ *unstably* with my water ;)

Not trying to decrease your arguments credibility - again it is only my personal opinion, and experience - but IMO (and my Experience) any non-defunctional DLT3C T-Bred "B" will do better than any non-defunctional T-Bred "B" DUT3C using the same hardware.

Tracking stepping performance is entirely the issue here - how do we know that the person getting "bad results" with a JIUCB, and spreading the supposition that the JIUCB stepping is a "bad stepping" doesn't have PSU problems, or motherboard problems?

And "standardized" testing is kinda out of the question given all the hardware combinations/problems/quirks that exist.

I still stand by my opinion - but I am open to changing my mind if sufficient proof/arguments are presented to make me think otherwise :)

I still want to see screens of 2.7 on air :)

Back