• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want A good OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computerbias

:eek:

I would like to know what a good stepping to look for is
either if a barton, or a t-bred B chip, I don't want to make the mistake of getting a poor overclocker.

Can you please help me and let me know what a good stepping is.

Thanks

Any Barton 2500+ will overclock nicely for you, even the locked ones (although you will need good RAM, and a good motherboard to clear 2200 MHz). A pre-week 39 Barton is unlocked - and therefor more desireable. The week takes the form of 03XX in the stepping, where 03 is the year (2003 in the Barton 2500+'s case), and XX is the week - which you want to be less than 39 for a guaranteed unlocked processor.

Thoroughbreds are tricker - as there are several different "Types".

First look for a Thoroughbred "B" core processor - identifieable by the stepping, where the last letter is B. XXXXB - examples being JIUHB, NIUHB, JIXIB, JIXHB, KIUHB.

Next make sure the chip is a DLT3C processor - the L indicates a stock Vcore of 1.5V - you do not want a DUT3C proecessor, as they stock at 1.6V, and are worse overclockers.

After you have found some T-Bred "B" DLT3C processors buy whichever one is newest - again indicated by the week. Be warned though, the very last batch of 1800+ chips is locked, again, like with the Bartons, week 39 and up is undesireable.

An example AMD XP 1800+ Thoroughbred "B" DLT3C Stepping:

AXDA 1800 JIXIB DLT3C 0332 WPMW

And I have bolded the parts that are important. The rest is unimportant, and can be ignored.

Yup good info there. If you are just looking to have some fun and want to get the biggest % oc that you can, then the 1700+ and 1800+ DLT3C chips are a blast.

I know I have the AXDA1700+DLT3C as a processor, but am unsure of the steppings
I think I shall pull my volcano 9 and see.

I have ordered an Abit NF7-S REV2 yesterday to replace my
MSI KT4 Ultra because it is so hard to overclock

I struggle to get a stable ride at 169X10...
anything over locks up on me

Tried many variations with the bios, so don't go there. The KT4 Ultra has been a rock solid board, and very good EXCEPT when I tried to overclock. I find it to be limited.

Thanks a bunch, I still welcome other replies as to other known good steppings. I want a Barton!

The NF7-S Rev2 should help your overclocking efforts immensly. MSI makes some good boards, but they are not typically great ocers(all of the MSI boards have been full of features and rock stable however).

Back