• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tRAS @ 11

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Balrog

Hey All, Well I finally got around to messing with this as I seem to have covered all other options for tweaking the performance of my current hardware. Basically I've run some tests and found that what Tyberius and others have discovered works for me as well, setting my tRAS to 11 seems to be a sweet spot on nForce boards and gives me a nice little jump in certain benches. So I'm currently running the Buffalo\Winbond @220FSB w/11-3-3-2.5 timings on Auto Voltage. Still gotta try 11-2-2-2.5 but doubt the memory can handle it @ 220FSB. So check the links and let me know what you discover if you decide to try it or if you're running these timings already.

Regards, Balrog

Tyberius' Article
http://www.geekextreme.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30

AMDMB Forums Thread
http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237991

I'm running 11,4,4,3 and the memory screams. I saw not too long ago something about the tRas being set to 11 working the best, so i'm running it too.

Congrats! Glad to hear that the setting works on the MB - I tried it this morning & got instant re-boots. !@#$%@#$ Geil RAM!

Thanks for sharing the info, atleast I KNOW it's the RAM

Wouldn't running at 11 as apposed to whatever it was rated for (6 or something) be like *underclocking* your ram? I get that its faster although I can't remember the technical reason why, some explaination regarding opening and closing a book while its being read...but what I want to know is why some people can't run it stable? Should it run MORE stable, if anything?

Most likely because it wasn't stable at other settings either. Look at the problems Bailey is having, its not him, its not the AN35N, its most likely his Geil, there have been numerous problems and complaints about the entry level Geil PC3200, the more expensive stuff seems to work great. Kingston HyperX is another that can be a pain to set-up on the AN35N, Corsair XMS and some OCZ has also caused issues with some people. Remember that the companies themselves are constantly changing which chips they use, so unless the vendor specifically states what memory chip you're getting you don't know. Last I heard I lot of the new Corsair XMS was using Winbond CH-5s instead of BH-5s which are in short supply. Word is Winbond is making more BH-5s which had been discontinued but the demand has been so high for them they started production again but it will be January or February before there is a significant supply again.

Regards, Balrog

Just to correct a bit
entry level Geil PC3200,
It's actually the Geil "Ultra" & not the entry level (of course they're rated the same = same chip w/ a fancy heat spreader?) :D
Again, thanks for sharing. It's helped me isolate the problem, always a good thing.

Bummer Bailey, First case of the Ultra not working that I've heard of. Hey, if it won't run at spec can you still RMA it? Have you tried Auto VDimm and the looser timings 11-3-3-2.5?

Regards, Balrog

Bailey said:
Just to correct a bit

It's actually the Geil "Ultra" & not the entry level (of course they're rated the same = same chip w/ a fancy heat spreader?) :D
Again, thanks for sharing. It's helped me isolate the problem, always a good thing.

Bailey, I found a fellow member with your memory on an Abit NF7-S @436MHz: "2x 256MB Geil not so Ultra PC3200 @ 2.5-3-3-9 2.9V" - from Sir Barton's sig.

I tried for 11-4-4-3 225FSB and lost my USB controller for a few days.
:)

Last edited:
Back