• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Part 2 Of my Cooling Quest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

Are the plugs for the case fans 12 volt, or 7 volt, b/c i heard someone say that they had a switch the togled 7/5. How does that work?

There are two straight up voltages (12, 5) and 3 possiblities (12, 7, 5) in a molex.

(First color is positive)

Yellow<--->black =12v
Red<--->black=5v

And, for the electrical trickery....

Yellow is 12v above ground. Red is 5v above ground, so there's 7v of difference.

Yellow<--->red=7v

agent he asked what kind of case fans not if it was for case fans.

and i am not sure what vottage comes out of them...maybe try getin a meter and test ...but for a swich i am not sure

hope this helps a bit

wizard james said:
agent he asked what kind of case fans not if it was for case fans.

and i am not sure what vottage comes out of them...maybe try getin a meter and test ...but for a swich i am not sure

hope this helps a bit

No, it didn't help. You attempted to correct agent on what the original poster was asking, but agent WAS the original poster. Furthermore, you contributed nothing to the topic, besides telling him to use a meter. Genius.

Here is a link with a wiring diagram for a 7v/12v switch for a fan. Thats how it works, and how to build one. There is a really good one around but I couldn't find it, it's the one about the original Baybus though if anyone else has it...

Hope that helps, as for the IDE thing, don't bother - like DOH said just buy a shorter one or you can fold it up all nice.

Back