• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No change in temp, stock or OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lanman31337

Hey there, i have this case http://servercase.com/miva/miva?/Me..._Code=SC&Product_Code=CK01F&Category_Code=PCC

and you can see in my sig what i'm running. If I overclock or stay stock, i'm getting around 48 degrees for the processor at idle, 46 for the north bridge, and 42 for the mobo. Running prime it goes a bit higher, around 54 for the processor. In the back i modded so a 92mm fan would fit, it's blowing in. Top has 2 80's and the bottom intake has an 80. What are your suggestions to make this case cooler? Would a side window and a fan in the window help? Thanks for your help.

I would consider switching some of those intakes to exhausts. The reason why is because this will then create an air flow current through your case allowing for the efficient removal of warm air. Usually, people have intakes at the front of their case, close to the bottom. The exhaust fans are then located higher in the case (right below the PSU or above it) to get rid of warm air. The logic behind this is that cool air comes in from below and as it warms, it rises. It is then caught by the exhaust which is higher in the case and removed.

~THT

clocker2, the answer to your question is yes, it drops about 10 degrees C when i take the side cover off. I did try having the 92mm in the back as an exhaust with no temp. change.

lanman31337 said:
clocker2, the answer to your question is yes, it drops about 10 degrees C when i take the side cover off. I did try having the 92mm in the back as an exhaust with no temp. change.
Well, basically what this tells you is that you aren't moving enough hot case air out.
Contrary to generally accepted theory around here, I don't buy into the horizontal airflow theory at all (intakes at the lower front & and exhaust in the upper top).
Hot air doesn't flow sideways and without a pretty powerful stream of air (read: big fans at high RPM) you aren't going to make it move much at all.
My set up uses intake vents in the case floor and exhaust fans in the upper quadrant near the roof.
Vertical airflow in otherwords, which is what the heated air wants to do anyway.
I have intake fans positioned to feed air directly to the heatproducing components (CPU,HDD and back of the chip socket) and an exhaust mounted horizontally next to the PSU blowing up into the roof vents.
All of my fans run on 5v (thus they are very quiet) and my folding temps are 35-37C, depending on room ambient.
You may want to experiment with a similar setup...

is the 92mm fan the only extra case fan you have?

clocker2's idea is good,but not everyone wants to mod his/her case to creaet vertical airflow...

a topblowhole works a lot of these times, lemme know how many fans your running at the moment (#, CFM, RPM, location)

Ok here is my setup:

At the top I have 2 80mm exhaust fans (25cfm each)
Blowing on the volcano/heatsink i have a 92mm fan (Sunon 30cfm)
At the bottom front I have an intake 80mm fan (25cfm)

That's my setup, and as you can see, the case is huge. This is what i'm thinking:

The bottom front mod and put a 120 mm fan (approx 75cfm)
Get a higher CFM fan where the 92mm fan is
Mod the top of the case and put a 92mm exhaust fan

I was planning on putting a plexiglass window and a fan right near the HSF, sound good?

Well, here's my two cents...
Forget the lower 120mm fan mod.
In fact, remove the stock fan that you have in there right now.
a). Your front bezel looks pretty restrictive airflow wise and I doubt that you are getting a whole lot of CFM through there anyway...and
b). What do you have down there that you are interested in cooling?
Not only am I a fan of vertical airflow, but also site-specific airflow as well....
Then I would cut out the restrictive grillwork on your rearwall fanmount and use a Thermaltake duct to put the fan right up on your heatsink.
Also I would horizontally mount a 120mm fan above the motherboard to pull the waste warm air up and out the roofvent that you will end up cutting anyway.
Like so...
231203-newfanrig.jpg

This arrangement has dropped my temps from the mid/upper 40's to the high 20's/low 30's. With a case ambient temp of 24.7c, my current folding temp is 32c.

That idea is a lot of love :) I'll pick up a 120mm fan at the computer show and hook it up like that, i'll get rid of the 80mm at the bottom because it's useless, and see how that works. I know that organizing my cables would definitely help too. Thanks for your help and i'll let you know how it goes.

Back