• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

peltier cooling a water reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

concepts

Registered
I was considering water cooling my two chips and then peltier cooling my water reservoir with no radiator. I know this will not work as well as putting peltier right on my chips but I figure if the reservoir is on top of my case I can have the heat sink for the peltiers out side the case and it should not get cold enough to make condensation a problem. Plus if I want to add peltiers under my chips latter i would be easy. Any ideas on why this is a good or bad idea.

I dont think that a peltier would be good enough to transfer the heat from water to the air in the vollume you would need to cool a cpu. buuut what I would be curious about is the use of a peltier heatsink unit to just chill the water in the loop once heat has been removed from it in the loop. a mini intercooler comprised of a heatsink in direct contact with the water and another one to radiate heat to the air.

as a principle cooling agent, I dont think it will go, but maybe as a supportive system.

Welcome to the forums.
Way too much effort for a pelt to try to cool a reservoir full of water. I did try using a pelt on a second waterblock just for cooling as water passed from the CPU section, but could never find any appreciable(or noticable, for that matter) benefit from it.

stool said:
Welcome to the forums.
Way too much effort for a pelt to try to cool a reservoir full of water. I did try using a pelt on a second waterblock just for cooling as water passed from the CPU section, but could never find any appreciable(or noticable, for that matter) benefit from it.

if doing additional cooling with a peltier, wouldn't it be best to introduce it in the loop just before the CPU? thus getting the water below room temp.

if it's just after the CPU, then you'll be lowering the water to room temp (say) and then your radiator will be doing nothing for you (or perhaps helping the water warm up if the peltier got it below room temp.) Net effect zero as you stated.

the wesson

thats not a bad idea. could work but i am no pro on this kinds of coolin....yet. for now i am good with fans.

o and wecome to the fourms ..if u look in the coolin fourms theres a branch off to water cooling and extrem cooling...dont know if where this would fit but...for now i guess your ok here.

doing a waterchiller with peltiers is not very efficient. if you want to get below ambient, you might want to look into evaporative cooling. you can make a 9" evaporative cooler that is very effective for little money. then if you want to directly peltier cool your cpu later, itll be all the better because the water will already be below ambient.

doing a waterchiller with peltiers is not very efficient

Besides, where would you attach it? To the outside of the res, passing the cool through the accrylic into the water. Seems to me like that would likely crack the resevoir. Maybe I'm not thinking of the same thing as you though.

I would perhaps make a little maze style copper block to operate as a "intercooler" wouldnt take much space and would probably do alright, but it probably wouldnt be worth the effort to get possibly 1º difference overall. might look neat.

the original poster being concerned about using a peltier as the sole source of cooling for the water system, I would offer this analysis:

it shouldn't matter if the peltier is attached to the CPU HS or attached to the mass of water that is attached to the CPU HS via tubes and reservoirs and pumps.

Either way you need a peltier that's rated high enough to take away all the watts that the CPU produces. (minus whatever incidental cooling you get by the water circulating - but now you're talking about some sort of radiator again, tho your tubing and reservoir are inefficient radiators.)

now if you have a peltier that powerful (it's supposed to be double the CPU wattage?) I'd wonder whether ice forming around the part sticking into the water would be a problem.

and then you need a good heatsink and fan to cool the hot side of the peltier don't you?

the wesson

TheWesson said:

if doing additional cooling with a peltier, wouldn't it be best to introduce it in the loop just before the CPU? thus getting the water below room temp.

if it's just after the CPU, then you'll be lowering the water to room temp (say) and then your radiator will be doing nothing for you (or perhaps helping the water warm up if the peltier got it below room temp.) Net effect zero as you stated.

the wesson
Component placement was a big topic of discussion some years ago. Right after the pelt on my rig, the water entered the reservoir, and then a 24pass radiator cooled by a 200mm fan. I don't actually think placement of the pelt elsewhere really would have made much of a difference, simply because of the amount of water being moved, and the pelt's inability to deal with it. The best bet for watercooling probably would have been an actual waterchiller in the reservoir, but is really cost-prohibitive(IMO).

this topic has bounced around in my head too...

this is what came out:

bolt THIS:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-swi-06.html

to THIS:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-39.html

and cool it with THIS:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003121323385372&item=16-1216&catname=electric

all i need is a PSU for pelt & fan and a 24V rheo

hows THAT for a "blowen intercooler"?

now, as for how well it will work and where to put it in my loop.....i dont know. my only thought is: why reinvent the water block. just run one in "reverse"..

EDIT: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCWCHILL-452.asp
(2 loops needed for this.....)
(great minds..:p )

Last edited:
Joe Camel said:
this topic has bounced around in my head too...

EDIT: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCWCHILL-452.asp
(2 loops needed for this.....)
(great minds..:p )

Sweet Jesus. So you've got two waterblocks cooling two Peltiers which are cooling a water stream.

And then you've got to cool the stream of water which is cooling the Peltiers.

Well, that's no problem my friend. Just use Peltiers to cool that water.

What's that you say? What?

No, it's Peltiers all the way down.

the wesson

Back