• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Recommend some OTS Mem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biyonic

Registered
I want to be able to tell someone who doesn't know much about computer memory where to buy and what to buy in regards to my Abit NF7-S 2.0.

I know memory is discussed here ad infinitum but what I am humbly asking of you guys is the following:

I need 512 as a single or matched pair of 256.

DDR 3200 - yes? (I have an overclocking-friendly Barton 2500)

Decent manufacturer - can be online if it is reputable.

Best buy - compusa, etc. would be ideal.

What do you guys think?

I can't help you with where to buy it from as I live in the UK however i can tell you what to look for. Ideally, for that board you should be looking for memory that has WinBOND BH-5 memory Chips. TwinMOS and Buffalo are two examples of companys that sell PC3200 Memory with these BH-5 Memory Chips. They usually hit speeds faster than the rated PC3200 (200MHz) they are recommended to do and they work well with tight timings. Tight timings increase the memory bandwidth and thus the performance of the system. On the nForce 2 Chipset, you'll want to be running the timings at 2-2-2-11. You may be wondering why 11 as 5 would be a much tighter timing? The nForce 2 works better with the timing 11, and some investigation done by PiLsY here shows in SiSoft Sandra that this timing works better on this chipset than tighter timings.

Craig

Thanks for the reply Craig -

Can anyone else help narrow this good information down to a US supplier with a known model number? That way I will be able to instruct this noob on where to go and get the memory.

Thanks -

biyonic said:
That way I will be able to instruct this noob

Thats not a nice way to speak about a person, remember that we were all noobs at one point or another.

Dood - no scolding please. We are talking about my mother in law here. And yes we are all noobs - just at different levels of noobness.

Does Newegg have some memory she can order?

I know older mushkin level II memory had the bh-5 chips but they have changed. You'd do better asking this question in the memory section.

As for the noob thing, I read your first post and thought you were talking about someone buying this memory for you. With that being the case you would do well to look at getting a money order from the person and finding what you want yourself. Most ppl (includeing salesppl at bestbuy, compusa etc.) have no idea that there are different grades of chips that go on memory or thier capabilities. Also most high end memory come with heatspreaders so you can't see the chips and trust me the ppl at the store wont let you take one off to see the chips.

Back