• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil 3200"U" is there any worse....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bailey

garbage on the market?

I've tried to use this stuff in my board & I can barely get it to run. This morning I tried the 2.5-3-3-11 (it's rated 2-3-3-6 @400)setting in hopes of improving the performance. All I got for my troubles was re-boots & a failure to load windows.

I've been to the Geil website & they have a stock answer - "if you want to overclock buy an Intel board" - nice <sarcasm>. I couldn't help but wonder what "overclock" meant, I think they mean actually running the RAM @ supported speeds & @ their stated specifications (how unreasonable of me - lol). The funniest part was that I wasn't the only one who recieved this answer, it's the standard reply.

Phew....rant off (sorry, just had to get that out - lol)

What FSB are you running the memory at @ 2.5-3-3-11 ? And were you running it in dual channel mode?

Run an intel board? What a load of BS! RMA that crap. If it won't do the stock timings it is therefore broken and should be returned.

FSB is 200 & I've tried it in both single & dual modes - no go.

here's the reply I recieved on Geil's website -

The nForce2 chipsets are very sensitive with the timings. The rated 2-6-3-3 is more recommended for Intel chipsets. Most of the time, 2.5-7-4-4 or 2.5-6-3-3 is needed for nForce2 chipsets.
And another reply to someone asking basically the same question (dual channel on a DSI NForce board) -
What is your cpu vcore setting & memory timing @ 200? Try adding voltage to cpu & lower the memory timing to see if its stable. Also note that nForce2 chipsets cant really overclock that high. If you really wanted to overclock, best would to use Intel chipset

This is Geil's primary answer in the AMD section of their forums. It's always "Nforce boards require relaxed timings" & "buy an Intel board".

I'd RMA it, but unfortunately I've been using the stuff for a while w/ a 1.2g T-bird & only recently have I been pusing it to it's rated specs.

Needless to say I won't be buying their stuff again:(

Back