• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Motherboard" Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheWesson

My Asus motherboard (A7V133) reports a "motherboard" temperature via the BIOS. Right now I am choosing to believe that that represents case temp (it seems plausible.)

But what is it really? Northbridge temp? Southbridge temp? The temp of some randomly chosen location on the PCB?

By the way I know a Tbird doesn't report die temp, so the MB is reporting as "CPU temp" its estimate of CPU temp from the resistor-looking things laying around in the socket? There isn't anything sticking up to contact the under surface of the package ...

... I upgraded to the latest Asus Probe and my CPU temp dropped 10C -- that was easy! :D

the wesson

Last edited:
TheWesson said:
My Asus motherboard (A7V133) reports a "motherboard" temperature via the BIOS. Right now I am choosing to believe that that represents case temp (it seems plausible.)

But what is it really? Northbridge temp? Southbridge temp? The temp of some randomly chosen location on the PCB?

It is not case temp.
Somewhere I found a post that showed where the temp sensor for my Asus board was...it was near the chip socket as I recall.
My board temp is usually 2-3 degC above my ambient case temp ( at least as reported by my TT Hardcano temp probe).

Back