• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcx4000 vs 947u which is better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

anyone have experience with both heatsinks? if so which one is best and how much better is it? i currently have an mcx4000 i was thinking of getting the 947u, but i dont want to waste the cash if it is only marginally better

I have a SLK 947u with a standard 80mm fan on it.

I idle between 29 and 31c, and at load I get +-40c.
That is on a 2500 Barton @ 10x230

My case has: 2x60mm on back rear, above psu, and an 2x80mm on side, and a 80mm mounted below my gfx card.

I hope you find this info usefull. I am not sure if these temps reflect what other 947u users get on average. I too would be curious to find out.

go HERE and ull see that the mcx-462 has .26 c/w, which is basically how well it cools...and the slk-900 hs .22 c/w, the slk-900 and 947 are basically the same except the 947 has a bit higher sides so it doesnt interfere w/ capacitors, so the 947 is better than the mcx-462 at cooling

first off, that heatsink round-up is very nice and all, but it is impossible to compare the heatsinks from the c/w values listed on the site.
first, they are using different fans in each test
second, the c/w values are rather crudely calculated from testbeds that are not only primitive, but also inconsistent, as listed are heatsinks from over several years, during which the testbeds have changed drastically.

personally, I would keep the mcx-4000, because it is still one of the best out there, and though thermalright's latest offerings would edge it out in performance, it's not worth the 40 bucks

snowwie said:
first off, that heatsink round-up is very nice and all, but it is impossible to compare the heatsinks from the c/w values listed on the site.
second, the c/w values are rather crudely calculated from testbeds that are not only primitive, but also inconsistent, as listed are heatsinks from over several years, during which the testbeds have changed drastically.

personally, I would keep the mcx-4000, because it is still one of the best out there, and though thermalright's latest offerings would edge it out in performance, it's not worth the 40 bucks

yeah thats what i figured the 947 is probably a little better, but not so much as to buy it

I just got a SLK947 and a Panflo 56cfm 92mm fan on it.. Also applied AS5 ..
Currently running 10.5x220= 2300Mhz and 1.75vcore.. Still testing but idle is 38c now and was priming for 3 hours at 46c degrees..
I hope when the AS5 settles the temps might get slightly better..Also it might be alot more effective if I had a fan that pushed more air but I didnt want alot of noise.

Thunda

Do ya's think those are good temps for my config ?

alot depends on yor ambient temp. but with that being said 38c idle and 46c load at 1.75v is very low as far as im concerned

snowwie said:

well...u cant argue with results...the thing is that it performs better, and they both use the vantec tornado, but how is listing heatsinks from several years ago affecting the newer reviews? im pretty sure it wouldn't

sweet :) I actually upgraded from a SLK800 and a 53cfm fan.. so it wasnt a huge upgrade but i wanted to loose a few degrees and also a freind is buying the old stuff .. I just installed it last night too so im sure the AS needs to settle too..

Thunda

dalilman52 said:

well...u cant argue with results...the thing is that it performs better, and they both use the vantec tornado, but how is listing heatsinks from several years ago affecting the newer reviews? im pretty sure it wouldn't

I'm saying that the results aren't directly comparable
and they aren't

snowwie said:

I'm saying that the results aren't directly comparable
and they aren't

.....i still dont see why u think the tests for the mcx-462 and the slk-900 are directly comparable, they use the exact same fan and testing method, the cpu die simulator, why are the still not directly comparable, forget about the older tests, they dont affect the newer tests' results

my current fan on the 4000 is a 80 mm 75 cfm thermaltake. i bought a 92mm119cfm tornado to replace it. the reason is, i have to run my cpu at 1.65v to get it to the maximum oc(3480). the idle temp at that speed is about 48-49c and loaded arounf 54-55c. thats a little high in my opinion, hopefully an extra 44 cfm will pull down themps some..as far as noise is concerned, as opposed to most people, it really doesnt bother me at all..

Back