• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s voltage mods rev 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LkyOldSun

NF7-s rev 2.0
I have spent the last hour searching 3 forums and 2 google searches for guides to the nf7-s voltage mods with NO results. :frustrated:
Anyone know of a guides to the northbridge voltage mod, as 1.7 is just not cutting it for me. (and a ddr voltage mod would be nice, but secondary in priority)

thanks for easing my frustration

Im so skerd to try those. When ever I can get a multimeter.. i might try the pensil one.

I dont have a voltage meter or anything. How would I know I didnt make it some insane voltage and fry my mobo. Thats why i dont wana try it. Ive done the L12 wire mod.. but I didnt get any more FSB out of it, at all, no effect except it made it 166 default

i got ahold of a meter and a soldering gun.. :D play time after i return from xmas

I'm not big on overvolting a device for the sake of just being able to do so. Still, I'm not afraid to up the voltage if it's to a useful end. In the case of the Vdd (chipset voltage), can anyone point me to an article or thread, where a fairly scientific assessment was used, where the test bed was an NF7-S Rev 2, where performance improvement with a Vdd above 1.7V is quantified? IE
1.75=nnn improvement
1.80=nnn improvement
1.85=nnn improvement
etc

I watercool my Northbridge along with my CPU and I'd be interested in upping the Vdd if I could get an idea of what parameter the increased voltage allowed the tester to improve upon, such as higher FSB, tighter RAM timings, Less Vdimm needed, etc.

Anecdotal reports are not what I'm interested in since there will always be a small degree of performance variability within the same make, model and revision of any motherboard. I mean, there are surely people out there with NF7-S Rev2 boards whose board is a little bit better and people whose board is a little bit worse than my particular board. I see that all the time.

Thanks

Hoot

Hoot - I haven't seen anything like that quantified. My NF7-S can do 160fsb at 1.4v. I does 215 at 1.6v...Just for you, I'll try 1.5v at 215 right now. In my experience, the NB on these boards really doesn't need much more voltage to overclock well.

Are those little clips small enough to work? I'd be worried about accidentally bridging a nearby connection, seeing as the edges are bare. :eek:

those clips were suggested to me as an alternative to soldering by someone with more than a thousand posts (no guarantee, but offers a smidgen of credibility) in the official Abit forum. I had balked at the thought of them contacting some undesired point on the mobo, and had figured I would wrap them in electrical tape, and slit down each side of the jaw so that they would be able to open. I plan to use the clips for temporary testing to see if I get any increase in FSB when I put on a modified PII active HSF. I don't really plan to max the voltage, as I have just a PII HS to replace the stock fan, and 2700 ram OC'd with no heat spreaders, but I know due to testing that the ram is not the FSB wall. I am really considering a zaleman NB cooler and putting a fan on it for the NB, but my roomates are balking at the mess that my computer is when it is out of it's cubbyhole, so time is of the essence for the testing phase.

Should I worry about using a hot glue gun to attach the PII HS to the PVC around the NB of the mobo if I want to replace HSF at a later time with a superior NB HSF?

I also want to lapp my northbridge if I end up going "permament" with the vmod because I will have to have the mobo out of the case anyways for soldering.

i hav done some mod here

vdd mod with pencil
vdimm mod
3.3v mod on my psu

so far nothing really help me reaching 250MHz....

but vdimm n 3.3v mod help me stablize 240MHz fsb at 2-2-2-11

I would recommend that when anyone does the voltmod that they ONLY check the new voltage (using multimeter) at the solder point, NOT the other point. Too many people (including me) have had an arch from that point, to the multimeter, to somewhere else on the mobo. I just think why do you need to check an additional point, when you already have a close enough idea of your voltage, why do you need exact?

What do you mean by an 'arch' from that point? Maybe once I watercool I'll grab a good multimeter and do a little vdd mod - maybe up to 1.8v or so.

It's a delightful week. I can do about 2.55 @ 1.85-1.9v. I need a couple mods and I think I'll be stable at 2.6 w/ 1.95v-2.0v. :)

0310 very good stepping

there r some other stepping too...

1800+ JIUHB DLT3C 0333VPMW
1800+ NIUHB DLT3C 0334 WPMW
1800+ NIUHB DLt3C 0335WPMW (2.5GHz on air cooling)

KIxHIB core they said... cannot oc like JIUHB core
:(

ya... i heard applebred love high vcore than tbred core....

i might get 1 applebred too.. coz just sold my 0322XPMW for USD40

Back