• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vdimm mod problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necromanx13x

Ok, forget everything i originally had up here. Now all I want to know is, is the voltage shown in the bios for vdimm accurate after doing the vdimm mod and if not, where can I measure the voltage?

Last edited:
On the ATX connector, locate one of the orange wires, or if your PSU has that odd Intel plug, just use one of those orange wires. Put you DMM + lead to it and the minus lead to a good ground point. Voilla, your +3.3V rail. Keep in mind that it may be a tad higher than what you read on the motherboard itself under load as the ATX connector imparts a bit of a voltage drop. On your motherboard, a good place to read the +3.3V is the miniature MOSFET(s) used to regulate the Dimm voltage. It(they) often are not as big as the Vcore regulating MOSFETS, so be careful probing the pins if your DMM has relatively fat probe pins. You wouldn't want to short something.

For people wanting to set their Vdimm up near the 3.3V rail value, they should keep in mind that as you increase the Vdimm regulator output to the point where its near the 3.3V input value that feeds it, you will lose the regulating effect since you are asking the regulator to essentially pass the raw 3.3V right on through. Now the 3.3V is already regulated at the PSU, but I suspect having a secondary regulator on the motherboard improves the regulation even better.

Hoot

necromanx13x said:
Thanks for the help but is there any way to check what the vdimm is at using a multimeter?

Sure, measure the Vdimm voltage on the slot voltage pins or the Vdimm regulating Mosfet. I find reading them off the Mosfet a little easier, but I still have to use a magnifying glass. These old eyes are not what they used to be.

Hoot

The vdimm mosfet is the one right to the left of the dimm slots right? Which pin on the mosfet should I put the + lead from the multimeter on?

Ok i figured it out and it turns out that bios was actually displaying a totally accurate voltage. Anyway, I finally got it stable at 217fsb, 3/3 ratio, 2,2,2,11 timings, and 2.6V in bios (which is actually 2.81V). I have no idea why the hell it took me so long to get it stable at all. Now I have to try to get it stable at 223 with the same timings.

Wait, just kidding. I just ran p95 and it failed before the first test could finish. Why am I having so many problems? Now im seriously considering just removind the mod altogether. Its crazy, I cant even get it stable at stock settings for the memory.

Back